• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to break into finance?

hi everyone, i'm new to quantnet and have some questions about the best way to break into the finance industry with my background; before asking away i'll provide a brief summary:

i have a bachelors in math/comp sci, and two masters degrees in ee, one of which is from an ivy league school; also i have about 4 yrs work experience relative to engineering, though some of it has been in systems engineering, and is not the most technical

i am currently in a phd program in ee at a school that is not well-known for engineering, but consistenly ranks in the top 20's for its business and law programs; essentially i came to the school on a fellowship and stayed a year before going on a leave of absence due to some personal circumstances that now warrant i continue only part-time in the program; in my year of study and research (and with transfer credit from my first masters) i managed to complete my course requirement and passed the qualifying exam at the phd-level; only the dissertation is before me now and the topic is stochastic optimal control theory and will involve some programming and numerical methods, and a great deal of theory pertinent to stochastic calculus, diff eq, and processes; i believe my phd would have a lot of applications to finance

ok, so here's the questions:

(1) i've considered not doing my phd and maybe getting a mfe or mba deg instead, but would such a decision drastically reduce my chances of breaking into the market for quantitative finance?

(2) is the phd absolutely necessary for most quant positions as opposed to a masters degree related to finance?

(3) would a phd with a dissertation in an area that is heavily involved with stochastic modeling give me equal exposure to recruiters as would a degree more concentrated in finance or would i have to get a finance internship before becoming marketable?

to anyone who takes time to provide advice, it is appreciated; thank you in advance :D

I have heard recruiters, I believe it was DCFC, who mentioned that if you are a EE and have strong signal processing skills, you are marketable to firms specialing in systematic trading.

Back