• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to compute the present value of a liability

There is a liability which will owe \(x\) dollars per year in \(n\) years with interest rate \(r\) (annual compounding). Is the present value of this liability \( \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{x}{(1+r)^i} \) or \( \sum_{i=1}^n x(1+r)^i ? \)
Are there differences in calculating present value of a bond and of a liability or loan?
Thanks!

\( PV = x\large(\frac{1-(1+r)^{-n}}{r}\right)\)

x = yearly payment
n = number of payments
r = annual rate of interest

Are there differences in calculating present value of a bond and of a liability or loan?
Thanks!
Typically the bond will have a larger final payment to include in your calculations. For the final payment you would need to multiply it by \((1+r)^{-n}\) and add it to the PV of your annuity.

Treefingers: Thanks!

Could you explain why the formula of present value of a liability is this?

Are you saying the PV formulas for a liability and for a bond are the same?

Thanks!

But in this problem "The interest rate is 7% (annual compounding). A pension fund has a liability will owe
$10,000 per year in 9 years time. What is the present value of this liability?", the answer is $5439, but I got $65152.32 by the formula provided above as
\(P=\sum_{t=1}^9 \frac{10000}{(1+0.07)^t} \approx 65152.32 \)

I dont know how the answer is achieved. Am I wrong somewhere?

A bond is a liability, as is every financial obligation.

You are not dealing with an annuity.

All the question is asking is that you solve for the present value of a future sum

\( \frac{10000}{(1+.07)^9} = 5439 \)

amanda: Thanks!

What does "future sum" mean? From "owe $10,000 per year in 9 years time", how is 10000 is the future sum?

In 9 years you will owe 10000.

The problem is asking you what the value of this obligation is, today.

Think of it this way: If interest rates in a savings account are 7%, how much would you need to deposit into your bank account today such that in 9-years' time your account balance will be 10,000.

The problem, as stated is rather unclear:
"The interest rate is 7% (annual compounding). A pension fund has a liability will owe
$10,000 per year in 9 years time. What is the present value of this liability?"

I would understand this as a perpetuity starting in 9-years' time.

If you take out the 'per year', it is a simple time value of money problem with the 5439 solution

My guess is that the problem is either mis-stated or the answer is wrong

Thanks!

But in this problem "The interest rate is 7% (annual compounding). A pension fund has a liability will owe
$10,000 per year in 9 years time. What is the present value of this liability?", the answer is $5439, but I got $65152.32 by the formula provided above as
\(P=\sum_{t=1}^9 \frac{10000}{(1+0.07)^t} \approx 65152.32 \)

I dont know how the answer is achieved. Am I wrong somewhere?

It seems there is no regular payment "per year" at all - as amanda pointed out. The reason you got 65152.32 is because you found the PV of 9 payments of 10,000 per year.

If your question is correct and your answer is wrong, I would solve it as a perpetuity; you can use the formula in my post. The n value would become -\( \infty \), making your (1+r) term 0 and you would just have your payment per year over your interest rate. You would then move the value of the perpetuity back 8 years with \((1.07)^{-8}\) because the formula leaves you one year before the payments begin.

Now that I know your question, I guess the difference between calculating a liability and the value of a bond could be described as follows: while the liability is just one payment in the future, the bond is a payment in the future combined with a regular and level interest payment (coupon) which forms an annuity. A loan repayment might fall somewhere in between as they are often amortised (interest and principal repayment combined) to create regular level payments over a period. Of course it's a simplification, but hopefully it helps.

Good luck.

Back