• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to design a correct learning path if the school curriculum cannot meet my requirements?

Dear everyone,

this is my first post. I was a sophomore in mathematics, and then I was diverted to the data science direction. I think data science will become an important part of the future of all industries, especially finance. Unfortunately, due to my school’s very old school and lack of understanding of data science, my curriculum is quite unreasonable, and the level of teachers and professors is insufficient, I cannot really learn useful knowledge from the classroom, whether it is theory or practice.

My compulsory courses are:
Mathematical analysis
Linear algebra
Numerical analysis (simple, will not even introduce svd, eigenvalues and Monte Carlo)
ODE
Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics (Introduction)
Machine learning
Optimization theory and algorithm
Pattern recognition
Introduction to python

Elective courses are:
Multivariate statistical analysis
discrete mathematics
Time series analysis
Neural network and deep learning
Options Futures and Derivatives
Wavelet analysis
Digital image processing
stochastic process
Econometrics
Convex optimization

As you can see, as a data science major, these courses not only have very few mathematics and statistics courses (at least no real analysis, topology, complex analysis, functional analysis, sampling, FEM), and even computer courses are arranged The mess (at least no introduction to databases, parallel computing, distributed systems, and some languages such as C++), and few poor economics and finance courses. I will find nothing if I continue to study this way.

How can I plan my own learning path so that I can reach a qualified graduate standard when I graduate to study MFE or MSCF?

These all look like reasonable courses for a data science major. Data science is not a theoretical degree to begin with. Also, these courses are enough as requirements for an MFE

These all look like reasonable courses for a data science major. Data science is not a theoretical degree to begin with. Also, these courses are enough as requirements for an MFE
Thank u very much……But as I know, MFE seems to be a little bit theoretical degree. Should I learn more about Mathmatics and Statistics?

技术变化非常快,所以要注意基本技能。
暂时的发现
非常感谢你,达菲博士。看来我应该专注于更基础的数学和统计学知识。

Thank you very much, Dr. Duffy. It seems that I should focus on more basic mathematics and statistics.

Wow! Did I say that? :)

Back