• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to do the calculations in Excel?

I would like to learn how to do the calculations in Excel. I am taking Adv. Calculus, Statistics, PDE courses in the Fall semester to fulfill requirements for MFE program. Right now I would like to learn to be able to do the homework in the Excel for those classes so I will be ready for the quant stuff.

How to do the calculations that are not built into Excel, e.g. how to solve quadratic equation or the integral? Are there plug-in(s) that contain extra functions or I would have to use the VBA for that?

Where do I start and what books should I get? I am proficient in C++ and C# but not in VB or VBA. I saw the recommended books list but I am still not sure which one I need.

Thank you!

Thank you, Andy.

I read your guide; it is very nice that I can use C# (my guess I can use managed C++ as well) to write functions for Excel, I never liked VB anyway.

However, I do not want to write the algorithms from scratch like you wrote Black-Scholes option pricer, instead I want to use a math library to solve my homework problems. Do you know of a free or cheap library that will allow me to solve basic math problems, Calculus, Stats, and PDE problems?

Basically, I want my PC to substitute TI-89. I planning to learn MatLab and SAS but first I want to do it in Excel, C++ & C#.

THX

If Excel could do the laundry and maybe cook a little...that would bring about world peace.

It seems all roads lead to MATLAB; that's what I am going to start using.

Besides Spreadsheet Link for Excel they also have MATLAB Builder for Excel and MATLAB Builder for .NET for royalty-free - hassle free - deployment.

Thanks for your help!

Back