• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to enter financial engineering?

Hello all,

First and foremost, excellent forum. Lots of great information and the community seems very supportive/informative.

Long story short - I am interested in entering the field of computational finance and I wanted to ask about the best way to achieve this goal considering my background. I really don't know anyone in the field so I was glad to find this forum.

Now for the long story...

My formal training is in chemical engineering. I have a BS with a specialization in tissue engineering and a PhD where I focused on microfluidics research (lab-on-a-chip). My favorite aspect of all of my research experiences was computational modeling and learning numerical methods. Following the completion of my PhD with a predominantly laboratory-based project, I decided to seek a postdoctoral appointment in supercomputing to explore my passion for computational modeling. Ultimately, I was hoping to utilize my postdoctoral appointment to attain a position in modeling and simulation. For the last year and a half, I have worked with the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute at the University of Minnesota. The focus of my work was to study the self-assembly of collagen IV in basement membrane tissues (e.g. the glomerular basement membrane). I absolutely love computing/code-writing/numerical methods. I recently used my skill-set to attain a position as a NASA contractor in the field of modeling and analysis.

Over the course of the last ten years, I have developed skills in the fields of C++/Fortran/Matlab programming, computational fluid dynamics, molecular Monte Carlo, lattice Boltzmann methods, and code parallelization with OpenMP and MPI. On the side, I have been reading about finance and investing what meager amount of money I can conjure up on a postdoc salary.

Recently, I have become very interested in learning about how I can apply the computational skills I developed in chemical physics and fluid dynamics to enter the field of finance. As I mentioned, I just started a new job. The bad news is that this contractually precludes me from seeking a position in computational finance for a while (a year at minimum). The good news is that my employer will reimburse me for extra education. I hope to use this opportunity to take courses and attain a degree that positions me for a computational finance position in the future.

So below includes a list of questions that I would be interested in having answered. If anyone can provide insight and help me strategize, I would be greatly appreciative.

1) I am tied down for the next year but I have the opportunity to pursue additional education. How can I best take advantage of this opportunity? I am thinking of starting an MBA program and specializing in finance (there are a number of good schools locally). Is an MBA program a good choice or should I focus my efforts elsewhere?

2) In the meantime, what can I do on the side to improve my knowledge of computational finance? For example, do you have any books you highly recommend? Can I start writing code to do experiments in computational finance on the side (e.g. Monte Carlo methods)? Are there any journals that are accessible to a person with somewhat limited experience in finance (I see there is the Journal of Computational Finance - any other good journals you would recommend)?

3) Do you have any other recommendations about how I can further explore computational finance?

Thanks for the prompt response Andy - I will give some of the references in the reading list a look.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Hi again Andy (or anyone else). I realize that I have some due diligence to perform on my side before I can really lay out a strategy about entering financial engineering but I guess I do have one additional follow-up question. You mentioned an MBA is probably not technical enough to enter financial engineering. Is there another degree program you would recommend?

I am in Houston right now and I see that Prof. Hamid Parsaei (industrial engineering at U. of Houston - http://www.egr.uh.edu/ie/research/?e=socl) studies financial engineering. Rice University also has the Center for Computational Finance and Econonomic Systems in which students pursue a professional masters along with an MBA (http://www.cofes.rice.edu/programs.cfm?doc_id=3355). Do you think formal training at either institution is preferable?

I really don't have anyone that I know of to ask so I appreciate you entertaining my questions and pointing me in the right direction.

You have a PhD so you probably have the research piece down. Start learning about the finance part by checking the QN reading list. Also, since you are in Houston, try to get into Commodities (Oil and Gas specially) since there are a lot of companies in the Houston area dedicated to this area.

Thanks guys for your insight. I will definitely start looking into some local schools and I will look into commodities as well. I have lots of reading ahead of me too but that will be part of the fun.

Back