• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to Get a Real Education

Scott Adams is the creator of "Dilbert", the cartoon strip series. The following is a great read on his life account and argument what students should learn to be successful boss. And it does not have to involve stochastic calculus or C++

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704101604576247143383496656.html

I understand why the top students in America study physics, chemistry, calculus and classic literature. The kids in this brainy group are the future professors, scientists, thinkers and engineers who will propel civilization forward. But why do we make B students sit through these same classes? That's like trying to train your cat to do your taxes—a waste of time and money. Wouldn't it make more sense to teach B students something useful, like entrepreneurship?

As a whole I agree with the article, but there should be some optimum found. Have you reviewed the marks of Einstein? Compare our GRE (mostly 800Q) and GMAT scores with his scores at school and when failing to pass exams in Switzerland Federal University.
Generally the opinion is good and likable, but pushing to one direction that we As are thinkers, professors, inventors, engineers, scientists is not. (I said I agree with the article because in most cases it is true).

Back