• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to go about to publish a paper?

@ChrisN, @Tsotne, @Andy Nguyen,

First of all... I strongly believe that one should do (and publish) interesting research work 'coz they love the subject and want to learn more and contribute in taking the field forward... not just to be looked upon highly... the latter comes automatically when you publish something good...

Second... peer-reviewed publishing will always be more recognized... as @Andy Nguyen has mentioned... anybody can publish pretty much anything on some web... but when your work is peer-reviewed... in most cases... the work quality is superior... and more original... and has higher chances of getting citations... all of these would automatically help getting better recognition...

Third... publishing your first paper with somebody already well-established in the field helps in two ways: (1) you get better visibility/recognition, and (2) you get fantastic ideas from the Pros which gives you something solid to work on and you can then generate further ideas on your own...

Hope that helps!

Main reasons are the following:

1) Work on something interesting and become more knowledgeable on the topic
2) Enhance my research skills
3) Collaborate with other researchers and exchange views. Network as well.
4) If something is indeed published (I confess) the satisfaction and recognition of the work published.

Precisely!

Apart from PhD, approaching professors (whether it will be assistance, co-authoring or just getting him be a supervisor of your own work) to get your work recognized seems to be the most appropriate solution.

- Indeed... :)

@ChrisN, @Tsotne, @Andy Nguyen,

Third... publishing your first paper with somebody already well-established in the field helps in two ways: (1) you get better visibility/recognition, and (2) you get fantastic ideas from the Pros which gives you something solid to work on and you can then generate further ideas on your own...

I only need now to find someone well-established who is willing to do research with me :)

Finally, if not the barriers while applying for higher degrees, I wouldn't at all care about recognition of my papers. Love of the subject and the topic you are devoting time can make you most happy with one pen, papers, one room, and one laptop. Others are all just like path-cleaners.

Finally, if not the barriers while applying for higher degrees, I wouldn't at all care about recognition of my papers. Love of the subject and the topic you are devoting time can make you most happy with one pen, papers, one room, and one laptop. Others are all just like path-cleaners.

Like the concept of course... however... one point... if your idea is great and you think the community/industry will benefit from it... then it is also important to take it forward by publishing your work... so that others can see it... and maybe some other student will get some nice idea after reading your paper... and then (s)he will take the next step... this is how any field progresses...

Think what would have happened if BSM did not publish their work!? So please give us the privilege of knowing your innovative ideas as well by publishing 'em... :)

Like the concept of course... however... one point... if your idea is great and you think the community/industry will benefit from it... then it is also important to take it forward by publishing your work... so that others can see it... and maybe some other student will get some nice idea after reading your paper... and then (s)he will take the next step... this is how any field progresses...

Think what would have happened if BSM did not publish their work!? So please give us the privilege of knowing your innovative ideas as well by publishing 'em... :)

Very nice insight. Totally correct point.

Andy... this seems to be an Abstract Database and an Electronic Paper Collection... NOT a peer-reviewed journal... am I wrong?

I have the same question... :)
No it aint peer reviewed if you just put it there. They have peer reviewed to with links to the publications. There are some good papers that are not in peer reviewed publications. Do you want peer reviewed and to publish in general to help you break into the quant field or you like rsearch?

Does anyone know what percentage of submitted papers are published in the top three finance journals?

How to you go about contacting professors/PhD students, etc. to co-author a paper?
How to you get involved in research to contribute towards a publication?

Besides the technical skills, you should either have interesting ideas or access to some proprietary data.

Does anyone know what percentage of submitted papers are published in the top three finance journals?

Haha. Maybe 1 in 100's? It is VERY VERY LOW and close to impossible to publish in these journals. The turnaround time is also 2-3 years at minimum. If you go for the elite journals like econometrica and journal of political economy (black scholes was published here) , it is even longer.

I will borrow this thread for a related matter. I actually have a paper that needs some reviewing before sending a job application. It's only 10 pages and very easy to read (I hope). It's not really quantstuff or even finance, but uses hedonic regression. PM for link.

Back