• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to hedge commodity exposure?

Hi,

I have a relatively simle question on hedging strategies. The situation is Company A buys some commodity (say grain) to run its business. The company wants to protect itself from fluctuations in commodity prices by hedging it. I am interested in analyzing the pros/cons of various hedging strategies.

Futures

Pros
- liquid

Cons
- margin requirements
- contracts are standard - not customized to exact company needs

Forwards

Pros
- customized contracts

Cons
- illiquid

Options

Pros
- minimum downside, unlimited upside

Cons
- expensive

I understand the above (or am I missing anything?). I remember hearing about another hedging strategy that would involve Company A creating a joint venture with Bank B in which B would be a majority holder at 51% and all the hedging would be done through this entity. This would result in no changing margin / liability requirements for Company A. I don't remember the details and not entirely sure how this would work - if anyone heard of this type of hedging, can you please share some more information about it?

Also - are there any other hedging strategies that Company A can pursue?

Many thanks.

Back