• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to improve grades

Hello friends Recently I came to know that many us students join off campus( might be online) univ. courses which they did not take during their undergrad or did not perform good in. I am good at mathematics but have spoiled by grades during undergrad because of carelessness. I will be applying for mfe programs in spring 2010 season. Right now I am in my final semester at iit kgp in india. Can You guys suggest me something as I never heard of these independent courses in india? .. (http://netmath.uiuc.edu If you dont get me clear what I am talking about).. I recently took mathematics subject gre and I percentile score is 83. Is it enough or I have to take few of my courses somehow ??

Thanks andy for your feedback.
See all the options mentioned here are for people who are residing in usa because finally you have to write the exam for the course you take. I dont have any info. about how to do these courses from india.
Any idea frnds.

Any idea frnds.

Can't you take such courses in India? They're quite basic and I'm sure each and every IIT is offering them. Save yourself a bit of money as well. Your GRE score indicates you're fast and competent at calc problems so one idea would be to take ODEs and probability (assuming you haven't already done them). And if a basic stochastic course is being offered (and your basic probability is up to scratch), I'd take that as well. Same argument for PDEs. Do all this so you hit the ground running when you start your MFE.

Can't you take such courses in India? They're quite basic and I'm sure each and every IIT is offering them. Save yourself a bit of money as well. Your GRE score indicates you're fast and competent at calc problems so one idea would be to take ODEs and probability (assuming you haven't already done them). And if a basic stochastic course is being offered (and your basic probability is up to scratch), I'd take that as well. Same argument for PDEs. Do all this so you hit the ground running when you start your MFE.

Hi bigbadwolf Thanks for addressing the issue. Yeah.. All these courses are offered in iits but I am in my last semester and my credits are full. I have to take some courses which are my depth. (compulsory) courses and I can not take any more courses. As far as I know no other institute in india offers courses on retail basis[:P]. :( Somebody plz suggest something .....

why so silent ? say something frnds...

why so silent ? say something frnds...

Nothing you shouldn't already have figured out for yourself. You will be applying to MFE programs with not enough mathematics under your belt. There are three separate questions: 1) Will you be accepted? 2) How will you perform in the program? and 3) Will the MFE do you any good?

In strong programs the answer to #1 is contingent on the answer to #2. If you had probability, ODEs, and PDEs under you belt, it would strengthen your application. In many programs they will be glad to take you for the money you pay but then you have to ask yourself #3. It would be better to complete a graduate program with an emphasis on applied math or computational physics in India and then apply to US MFE programs. This will also give you time to see which way the market is veering. Things are decidedly iffy right now.

Back