• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to meet these prerequisites for mfin

• Linear algebra:

Basic topics, including matrix/vector notation, operations on matrices and vectors, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, quadratic forms, and systems of linear equations.

• Calculus:

Multivariable differentiation and integration, series expansions, and function approximation and maximization.

• Probability:

Sample spaces and random variables, common distributions and densities, moments of distributions, conditional probability and Bayes’ theorem, the law of large numbers, central limit theorem, joint distributions, covariance, correlation, and stochastic independence.

• Stochastic processes:

Random walks, Bernoulli trials, Markov processes, basic properties of linear time series models, continuous-time processes, and Ito’s lemma.

• Statistics/econometrics:

Parameter estimation, confidence intervals, hypothesis tests, linear regression models, ordinary least squares, and likelihood principle.
  • Computer literacy:

Students entering the MIT MFin program are expected to possess basic programming skills needed for processing and analyzing data. As part of the degree requirements, all students are required to sit for and pass the Programming Literacy Test. Entering students will take the PLT at the beginning of the summer term using any of the following programming languages: R or Python. Those who do not successfully pass the test will be encouraged to attend coding office hours and required to retake the PLT. Coding office hours will be held throughout the summer term.

HOW DO I FULFILL THESE PREREQUISITES THEY WERENT A PART OF MY UNDERGRAD DEGREE. WHAT CAN IN THE PERIOD OF THREE MONTHS TO FULFILL THESE?
    Also, suggest some mfin programmes which accept three-year degrees like MIT AND ROCHESTER.

The feasibility of covering the topics you’ve listed in a sufficient amount of depth within 3 months largely depends on how much of the above you are not familiar with. Specifically which topics from those you listed have you not seen before?

Last edited:
The feasibility of covering the topics you’ve listed in a sufficient amount of depth within 3 months largely depends on how much of the above you are not familiar with. Specifically which topics from those you listed have you not seen before?
okay. so if I do online courses from coursera on these topics will they provide enough credibility?

You probably need to take an extra semester or two to take the pre-reqs. I would say you don’t need to take stochastic tho

I have never taken a course with coursera so I cannot say with certainty the courses there will be sufficient, though I have read and heard from friends that many of coursera's courses are lacking in rigor. Also, if your end goal is gaining admittance to a program like MIT's, you may want to think about how admissions may view courses through a service like coursera versus courses through accredited universities as a non-degree student. From what I have taken away, the latter has been the route many current MFIN/MFE students coming from a non-math intensive background have taken, while I have seen less cases of students simply doing the courses you listed above through coursera. Ultimately, I think for core math prereqs like calculus, linear algebra, probability, and stats it would be viewed more favorably if the classes were taken through accredited universities.

Baruch's prep program is the best approach, and it's on line now. I would absolutely do that if there was any way to swing it when I was prepping.

I have never taken a course with coursera so I cannot say with certainty the courses there will be sufficient, though I have read and heard from friends that many of coursera's courses are lacking in rigor. Also, if your end goal is gaining admittance to a program like MIT's, you may want to think about how admissions may view courses through a service like coursera versus courses through accredited universities as a non-degree student. From what I have taken away, the latter has been the route many current MFIN/MFE students coming from a non-math intensive background have taken, while I have seen less cases of students simply doing the courses you listed above through coursera. Ultimately, I think for core math prereqs like calculus, linear algebra, probability, and stats it would be viewed more favorably if the classes were taken through accredited universities.
thank you so much for this....now please suggest some courses that I could take that would be through accredited universities.

If not Baruch, you're looking at local colleges and universities. I took my pre-reqs through an MS in Actuarial Sciences, which was useful. I was missing a lot of the SDE / PDE / Linear Algebra they cover at Baruch. It really is a fantastic program.

At the Baruch info session yesterday for the seminars, it was said that if you have not taken a previous course in the subject, that specific seminar is not designed for you. Applying does not cost anything, so I would say go ahead and apply, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting accepted to the seminars. For context, the question was raised by someone hoping to pursue further education in the data science field. They were interested in the probability seminar, but they only had a stats business class. They were recommended to take an undergrad course first.

It is looking more and more likely the CUNY schools will once again be online next semester. I would look into Baruch, Hunter, City College, and Queens College or any other CUNY. First keep up to date by seeing if they will in fact be online next semester, after that, go through there course listings for next semester and see what pre requisites you can take as a visiting student. Its relatively cheap and the benefit of being online means travel should not be an issue.

Edit: I see you have a deadline of three months, where my advice is given with the thought you would be taking the extra semester.. I guess with your situation, taking a chance on the Baruch pre-mfe seminar is likely the only route you have, provided you get accepted.

Last edited:
I offer robust, hands on + supervision on most maths topics.
Student discounts.

Online Courses :: Datasim

www.datasim.nl
www.datasim.nl

Testimonials :: Datasim

www.datasim.nl
www.datasim.nl

Which courses do you recommend to clear MFE math pre-reqs?

Pure Mathematics Foundations?
Applied Numerical Methods?
ODE/PDE?

There seems to be some overlap across the courses.

It depends on which university you want to attend. ODE/PDE is kind of unique in its content.
Overlap? Certain topics (e.g. Integration) can be approached from different viewpoints. There has to be a certain amount of overlap.

If you really want to learn this stuff, these courses are useful.

Last edited:
Baruch's prep program is the best approach, and it's on line now. I would absolutely do that if there was any way to swing it when I was prepping.

The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch is, indeed, online for the first time ever.

More information can be found at
and at

Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/

Back