• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to prepare C++ questions?

I am a BS in math and now MFE student. I learn C++ by myself for much time, reading books like Primer. However, I still cannot handle C++ questions in interview. I was suggested to read "effective c++" or to practice more on previous interview questions, does that work?

Also, some interviewer just asked me about previous C++ project. As a student now, how can I get project experience of c++ programming?

Tks!!

Hi Andy, the best way to be good at C++ (or any other language) is to think about the project which would teach you a lot from the very beginning. Say, set an ambitious goal of writing one code per day. Start with mathematics, e.g. solving ax^2+bx+c=0 equation. Scan the books and Google for similar solutions. Compare what you wrote with other solutions. If you find some language structures that you don't know, study it, google it, try to include in your code and see the output. Modify, add new elements. Go through pain and hell of debugging.

After one week of doing so, keeping your pace, you will see how much you know. Don't jump in C++ topics too quickly. Set a timeframe for your progress. And stay motivated.

My tip would be: if you don't like C++, it terrifies you, make a hard effort of facing your fears. You will see after a while you start growing in C++ knowledge and self-confidence, and your fears start dying. Eventually, you will become addicted to that growth.

I'm folloing the same way right now with Python programming and share this experience at http://quantatrisk.com - Who knows, maybe one day you can be one of the best paid experts in C++?!!

Don't give up. Good luck!
-Pawel

Last edited:
I am a BS in math and now MFE student. I learn C++ by myself for much time, reading books like Primer. However, I still cannot handle C++ questions in interview. I was suggested to read "effective c++" or to practice more on previous interview questions, does that work?

Also, some interviewer just asked me about previous C++ project. As a student now, how can I get project experience of c++ programming?

Tks!!
The best way to learn C++ is by doing (programming a lot) C++. Start on a small project. That's _how_ you get experience (e.g. Monte Carlo, lattice, PDE, whatever, even a small analytic geometry application).

And get a feeling first for general Computer Science, e.g. variables, functions, memory, etc. etc.

To be honest with you, 'learning' C++ by memorising answers is pointless.

Last edited:
Hi Andy, the best way to be good at C++ (or any other language) is to think about the project which would teach you a lot from the very beginning. Say, set an ambitious goal of writing one code per day. Start with mathematics, e.g. solving ax^2+bx+c=0 equation. Scan the books and Google for similar solutions. Compare what you wrote with other solutions. If you find some language structures that you don't know, study it, google it, try to include in your code and see the output. Modify, add new elements. Go through pain and hell of debugging.

After one week of doing so, keeping your pace, you will see how much you know. Don't jump in C++ topics too quickly. Set a timeframe for your progress. And stay motivated.

My tip would be: if you don't like C++, it terrifies you, make a hard effort of facing your fears. You will see after a while you start growing in C++ knowledge and self-confidence, and your fears start dying. Eventually, you will become addicted to that growth.

I'm folloing the same way right now with Python programming and share this experience at http://quantatrisk.com - Who knows, maybe one day you can be one of the best paid experts in C++?!!

Don't give up. Good luck!
-Pawel
Thank you, Pawel!

I am keeping C++ coding everyday, and it does work!
It is helpful to compare my work with others, learning how to improve my coding skills.

Python is fancy. After more experience in C++ programming, I shall learn it by myself or in class later.

The best way to learn C++ is by doing (programming a lot) C++. Start on a small project. That's _how_ you get experience (e.g. Monte Carlo, lattice, PDE, whatever, even a small analytic geometry application).

And get a feeling first for general Computer Science, e.g. variables, functions, memory, etc. etc.

To be honest with you, 'learning' C++ by memorising answers is pointless.

Thanks a lot!
I plan to read your book "Introduction to C++ for financial engineers" in the near future. I find in the book lots of great practical c++ projects of quant finance, they can help me learn by doing.
Memorizing answers is boring and useless. But maybe solving some interview questions as programming project is also helpful, isn't it?

Memorizing answers is boring and useless. But maybe solving some interview questions as programming project is also helpful, isn't it?

Everything helps but I can imagine an interviewer might ask a question whose answer demands that you have written, compiled and run a C++ program.

Last edited:
I do agree with Daniel. Resistance against problems pays good dividends in time. Make sure you've invested in good stock. C++ is like GOOG. A growth option :)

Python [...]. After more experience in C++ programming, I shall learn it by myself or in class later.

Good idea.

Back