• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how to wash out noise in high frequency financial time series

hi , everyone, i am jemnbo from China, i have a question needed to solve, anybody can help me?
the question is , we got the high frequency financial series, such as open , high, low , close , and volume , commonly in technical analysis , or any other systems we used, we only care about close prices , but , if we reconclude the other four series , we find that the series is not flat as we want, there is so many nosie or jumps in the series , how can we wash out the noise?

i made a step forward , for example , based on the herd effect, i ignored the trade volumes less that 50% quantile , then regenerate the five series, i found that the series become flatter , but not access to the confidence level .

what would you do to the queation?:-k:-k:-k:-k:-k

May I ask you are you a Quant in some company? Is this the a real-world problem happened in your job? Very interesting... Thanks.

Claude.

Hey Jemnbo,

I guess you need some papers by Jeannette Woerner.
One of her papers is in this book edited by Shiryaev: Stochastic Finance.("Power and Multipower Variation: inference for high frequency data" pages 343 to 364)

Good luck for the olympic games!
Bastian

Like Andy said, in time series analysis, you need to remove the trend in the data set and what you want after detrending is a random noise component which needs to be as close to stationary and zero-mean as possible.

In general signal processing's point of view, take speech enhancement for example, you may use spectral subtraction to remove noise component in the frequency domain and recover the "clean" component.

Good to have my first post here:)

May I ask you are you a Quant in some company? Is this the a real-world problem happened in your job? Very interesting... Thanks.

Claude.

yes , i work in a hedge fund set up lastly in china, maybe it is feminine, but we have made a step bravely.

Like Andy said, in time series analysis, you need to remove the trend in the data set and what you want after detrending is a random noise component which needs to be as close to stationary and zero-mean as possible.

In general signal processing's point of view, take speech enhancement for example, you may use spectral subtraction to remove noise component in the frequency domain and recover the "clean" component.

Good to have my first post here:)

answer to Andy and Shawn

thanks for your advices , i catch your meaning and had tried the methods before , such as MA , EMA , and some econometrica methods such as ARMA GARCH etc, as you known, they are all backward looking methods and fixed constructions , if we choose the backword looking method , that means you had jumped into the time lag loops, the signals you cleaned limited by the lag parameters you choosed and can not switch properly according to the conditons now. so i wonder if we can made a properly region switching ??
PS,, as i known , the buy or sell signals sent by technical analysis methods is so tardy. we can not take a action in time.

Back