• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How would not taking PDE/Stochastic Calculus in time diminish chance for admission to top MFE program?

Hi all,

My name is John. I am currently an undergrad student doing mathematical economics & computer science double major at a Canadian university. I am looking to apply for an MFE program in the US in Fall 2021.

I see that there are a few courses ODE/PDE/Stochastic Calculus that are highly recommended on this forum and I plan to take those courses during my final undergrad year. That being said, I would not have these courses' grades listed on my transcript during the application season but it would show as in progress.

In terms of other aspects of applications, I have done semi-relevant research in econometrics and internships in both buy-side (large Canadian pension plan) and sell-side (BB quant summer analyst). What I am particularly worried about is not taking these courses in time? My concern is how big of a problem would it be not having these courses completed before application season?

Hi all,

My name is John. I am currently an undergrad student doing mathematical economics & computer science double major at a Canadian university. I am looking to apply for an MFE program in the US in Fall 2021.

I see that there are a few courses ODE/PDE/Stochastic Calculus that are highly recommended on this forum and I plan to take those courses during my final undergrad year. That being said, I would not have these courses' grades listed on my transcript during the application season but it would show as in progress.

In terms of other aspects of applications, I have done semi-relevant research in econometrics and internships in both buy-side (large Canadian pension plan) and sell-side (BB quant summer analyst). What I am particularly worried about is not taking these courses in time? My concern is how big of a problem would it be not having these courses completed before application season?
From my personal experience, it's not that big of a problem. I also took Stochastic Calculus/PDE in my last semester and I applied to MFE programs without having a grade for these courses. I got an offer from most of the programs I applied. Feel free to send me a message if you need more info.

Not knowing both SDE and PDE could be a drawback. Still, most models are built around these pillars I reckon.
Of course, the lack of can be compensated by other talents like programming ability, for example.

Not knowing both SDE and PDE could be a drawback. Still, most models are built around these pillars I reckon.
Of course, the lack of can be compensated by other talents like programming ability, for example.
Thanks! That’s why I want to take it in my final year to prepare for entry into. I did take a few grad level CS courses, would that compensate partially for this?

Thanks! That’s why I want to take it in my final year to prepare for entry into. I did take a few grad level CS courses, would that compensate partially for this?
One way (and not a bad way) to learn maths is to reverse engineer an algorithm by programming it in C++ and work backwards to the original maths formulation. I do that all the time these days.

Back