• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I did bad in introductory level computer programming, does it hurt?

Hi family,

Time flies by and it's time for me to apply to grad schools!

I'm targeting the top 10 schools based on the 2020 rankings, I currently have a 3.7/4 cGPA and my major GPA is even better.

During my 1st year, I'm really stupid for not paying attention in two courses like introduction to computer programming. They show up as two "C" in my transcript.

Do this get me out of the admission officer's table? I have other higher level programming courses such as algorithm and data structures (I got A+) and many machine learning courses with A or A+. Will this make them think that I'm a viable candidate?

Thanks very much for all your answers!

During my 1st year, I'm really stupid for not paying attention in two courses like introduction to computer programming. They show up as two "C" in my transcript.

These intro programming courses are almost invariably vacuous and mind-numbing horseshit, with a focus on syntax and brainless coding projects. The problem is that if you do well on them, it doesn't mean much of anything but if you do poorly, it raises eyebrows. Find a non-trivial programming course, for example one involving numerical analysis.

Forget the past.
I would say, do the QN C++ course. It's best investment you will make, ever.

I originated this course :)
Thank you Daniel. Yes, will consider it. Will I get a certificate or something to proof that I completed this course?

These intro programming courses are almost invariably vacuous and mind-numbing horseshit, with a focus on syntax and brainless coding projects. The problem is that if you do well on them, it doesn't mean much of anything but if you do poorly, it raises eyebrows. Find a non-trivial programming course, for example one involving numerical analysis.
Thanks so much. I'm in my 4th year now and I don't really have too much time left to complete another programming course. Do you consider some 3-level AI & ML courses offered by computer science department non-trivial?

Thanks so much. I'm in my 4th year now and I don't really have too much time left to complete another programming course. Do you consider some 3-level AI & ML courses offered by computer science department non-trivial?

Probably not since AFAIK, they typically don't involve intense coding. What I would really like is some course on programming to involve creating a rudimentary chess engine. This is not as difficult as it sounds but it seems that neither authors nor publishers are interested in putting out a book on this topic. Instead we face a glut, a plethora, of introductory books on syntax and/or trivial coding projects.

Probably not since AFAIK, they typically don't involve intense coding. What I would really like is some course on programming to involve creating a rudimentary chess engine. This is not as difficult as it sounds but it seems that neither authors nor publishers are interested in putting out a book on this topic. Instead we face a glut, a plethora, of introductory books on syntax and/or trivial coding projects.
Chess is a niche; not to everyone's taste, perhaps. But it would be a crisp example of how to use OOP.

Back