• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I do not like Math

Hello,

I recently got an admit into one of the top 10 MFE programs and I don't like mathematics. What should I do?

This really depends on the program. Some programs will admittedly say that while they teach the fundamentals, they do not go deep into the mathematics, where some will place an extra emphasis on this. Do your research and see what group the program you were accepted into fits in. If you look hard enough, a lot of public information exists. Some might be a little dated but I believe you will get some signal if you search enough. This is all relative to how much math you do not like. If you do not even like multivariate calculus, probability, and linear algebra, you'll most likely have a tough time. If its more advanced mathematics you do not like, well, not every program is going to go in depth on this part and you can sort through which ones fit in either category.

Hello,

I recently got an admit into one of the top 10 MFE programs and I don't like mathematics. What should I do?
There's so much to unpack here. . .you kind of knew an MFE implies a lot of math, right?

An obvious response I might have - "don't go". I don't want to be flip though, and i want to take your question seriously.

Why is this on the table if you don't like math?

Hello,

The admissions people must have seen something in your background that indicates you will get through the program -- unless they're being even more mercenary than usual and just want your money.

Let us assume the first. That means you can do the math but don't like it (which is way better than the legions who say they're "passionate" about math but are no good at it). The decision then rests with you in the sense that you have the background and the ability but no real taste for math.

Now let us assume the latter -- you don't have the background and ability. In that case make sure this mercenary program does not get you into its clutches. You will not do well.

The question is just too vague. What's the motivation to get in Quantitative Finance if one has no interest in mathematics? Wouldn't a Msc in Finance be the better alternative. I don't want to make assumptions here.

Back