I have a high GPA but my Probability class is killing me this semester...what do I do? Do I Pass/Fail?

I am a current senior at a top 5 liberal arts college in the U.S. majoring in Math. I have a 3.8 gpa and I am also a college athlete. I will be taking the GRE in the winter and applying to several financial math/engineering programs. My coursework: Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, Real Analysis, Probability, Graph Theory, Abstract Algebra, and and lastly Optimization in the spring if I choose to add this elective that isn't required for my major. I have also taken a computer science class and I have done some programming already in MATLAB, Python, and Java in Numerical Analysis, Differential Equations, and Probability. I am taking Probability this fall and I bombed (I failed) the first midterm exam. There are still two more exams (another midterm and final), but the material is increasing in difficulty. I'm acing the problem sets and just got a B- on a written assignment for the class. I am a bit shocked since this is the first math/stat class I am not doing well in. I know there is still 2 months left in the semester, but deep down I feel like there is not a great chance I'll get at least a B. Best I can get if I knock every assignment out of the part is a B+ (which is good). If I don't get at least a B in Probability, should I just pass/fail the class with a "P" on my transcript (P for pass I will 100% pass the class but just won't ace it)?. I don't want to ruin my high GPA. Or would it be better to try and squeeze out a B- with a hit on my gpa? What is the best option for the best look on my candidate profile?

Pain is good. You will see this stochastic probability again when you start your MFE and I can tell you it will be harder. A lot of people got a big shock with it (myself included). You will be dealing with it while preparing for interviews, taking other courses and being overloaded with tasks.
I would suggest that you deal with it now, learn it well so you won't suffer during your MFE study. Maybe you will get better and get a B+ at the end.
The standard book used in MFE programs is Stochastic Calculus for Finance by Shreve. I suggest you get them and study ahead.

Get with @MikeLawrence and join his study group. I think they are going through the same materials.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The discord never took off, but has many members. Few were willing to follow through on offers to study together. A couple of us migrated to other math discords. Most of those who joined never said anything. Hard to get the ball rolling without a dedicated core, and our core was too dispersed in talent to work together and get conversations started.

Probability is one of my stronger areas. I'm willing to help out a bit if you think you need a sounding board. But if you are acing the problem sets then it may have been a poor test and not much more. Hard to say on our end. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk.

Back
Top Bottom