• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I love to research. What can I do?

Honestly, if I find a topic that I like, there is no stopping me from finding out everything I can about it. I tend to prefer a breadth approach, I feel more comfortable covering many names rather than doing a deep dive into only a few. I then like to organize the info in some sort of coherent form. If needed, I could write a report about my findings. I find that in the evenings, when I'm surfing the Web, fulfilling my curiosity, is the time when I find myself lost in the moment.

Is there a quant job where I can do this? What kind of jobs/careers would fall under this realization?

'Quant' is principally software engineering for financial institutions with the odd foray into mathematics. Sitting around reading papers and writing reports is extremely unlikely to be your main duty.

You could consider a job in academia. It might be more in line with your passion.

Surfing the Web is what you do in free time.
Besides, 90% of the information is useless.

Surfing the Web is what you do in free time.
Besides, 90% of the information is useless.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but 90% of the information on the internet is definitely not useless, it just means you're doing a bad job searching through it. Also, while I think OP is definitely misguided as to what a quant career is, I don't think your condescending response is really helping with anything (unless OP is a troll or something)

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but 90% of the information on the internet is definitely not useless, it just means you're doing a bad job searching through it. Also, while I think OP is definitely misguided as to what a quant career is, I don't think your condescending response is really helping with anything (unless OP is a troll or something)
A bit touchy? I am giving my opinion/experiences.
I have > 200 maths books in my library. And hundreds of articles dating from the 70s. And my own research notes.
And I work everything out with pencil and paper before surfing, it at all.
Sometimes I search, but it throws up existing sources.. Most stuff on internet is NOT peer-reviewed.

it just means you're doing a bad job searching through
LOL

And that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Honestly, if I find a topic that I like, there is no stopping me from finding out everything I can about it. I tend to prefer a breadth approach, I feel more comfortable covering many names rather than doing a deep dive into only a few. I then like to organize the info in some sort of coherent form. If needed, I could write a report about my findings. I find that in the evenings, when I'm surfing the Web, fulfilling my curiosity, is the time when I find myself lost in the moment.

Is there a quant job where I can do this? What kind of jobs/careers would fall under this realization?
Do a Ph.D. and try to become a professor at a flagship research university ( or work for the fed. This is literally what its all about.

yes and no.
Research is

1. to get a PhD
2. after PhD (then become administator, delegate research to your PostDoc team).
You have never done research in an academic context, do not have a phd, and clearly do not know how finance/econ research works.

How do I know? I have a phd.

Finance and related disciplines (economics, operations research) post docs are a rarity. They are something you do to either expand your network or because you failed to get a tenure track job.

Also we are not lab scientist. Large grants are not common, professors rarely spend time writing grants. Professors are promoted based on publication record, which is largely independent or has a handful of co-authors. If you are in academia in these disciplines your job is some combination of teaching and research, how much teaching corresponds to the type of college you work for and contracts are fairly standard by college type.

If you work government i.e. FED, SEC ,OCC, Treasury, FDIC, FHFA your work is some combination of policy work and journal publishable research. If you want to go into quant finance, these people are going to be examining your work, best to know something about what people do.

You have never done research in an academic context, do not have a phd, and clearly do not know how finance/econ research works.

Finance and related disciplines (economics, operations research) post docs are a rarity. They are something you do to either expand your network or because you failed to get a tenure track job.

Also we are not lab scientist. Large grants are not common, professors rarely spend time writing grants. Professors are promoted based on publication record, which is largely independent or has a handful of co-authors. If you are in academia in these disciplines your job is some combination of teaching and research, how much teaching corresponds to the type of college you work for and contracts are fairly standard by college type.

If you work government i.e. FED, SEC ,OCC, Treasury, FDIC, FHFA your work is some combination of policy work and journal publishable research. If you want to go into quant finance, these people are going to be examining your work, best to know something about what people do.
I would double check before you make claims about someone https://nl.linkedin.com/in/daniel-duffy-a6ab3912 he has a PhD

Well done, matey. Dime a dozen. Freshly minted PhDs tend to have this arrogance. Industry experience will cure you of that soon enough :)
BTW I have a PhD in Mathematics (PDE, FDM) (1980).

here's some of my connections in academia and industry in EU, UK and USA.

You calm down, you are making yourself look a bit silly.

anyways, no problemos.

Last edited:
Back