• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

IB graduate scheme thoughts?

Hi guys,

I just wondered what your thoughts were for graduate scheme analyst potions? I'm also considering doing a PhD but wory about the "overqualified lable". I'm also quite desperate to get out there an make a name for myself :) so would the graduate scheme get me farthest? Or do you hit a glass ceiling without a PhD? Cheers guys!

I will say that regardless of overqualified or not, you should not do a PhD in order to get into an IB. Only do it if you really enjoy the subject.

Most people here would tell you the same.

My impression re: career advancement with/without PhD is that the really senior quant positions require PhDs (as a matter of the skills required to succeed), but that does not apply to positions that are not as highly quantitative.

I will say that regardless of overqualified or not, you should not do a PhD in order to get into an IB. Only do it if you really enjoy the subject.

Most people here would tell you the same.

My impression re: career advancement with/without PhD is that the really senior quant positions require PhDs (as a matter of the skills required to succeed), but that does not apply to positions that are not as highly quantitative.

Seconded.

By the way I have a physics background and looking at doing this: http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/barclays-capital-quantitative-analytics after next year. Cheers guys!
I actually was contacted by the team that run the program both in London and NYC. I was supposed to talk to them to cover their program for Quantnet but never got a chance to do so. Barclays sent a few brochures to Quantnet's office in NYC to introduce their graduate program.
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/barclays-capital-graduate-program.5638/

Maybe when I have a bit more free time to get back in touch with them, I'll write more about it.

Back