• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE IIT MSMF/CGU MSFE/GaTech MSQCF

Hello one and all,

I have admits from the above three programs.

My background : BS Econ,Math from large midranked state school in the midwest.
6 months internship at a large asset manager doing mostly MO type work.
Research and publication in Probability theory.
Domestic student.

My interest: Generally in Energy/Commodity Derivatives, but open to other fields.

CGU and GaTech seem to have a niche in Energy Risk mgmt etc. OTOH, IIT is in Chicago.

I have read the old threads on these schools, but any new information from current students or recent alumni would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

You've got a good background and you don't need a visa. You're going to do pretty well. One question is where do you want to work? If your interest is in energy then are you keen on Houston? Are you aiming for NYC or Chicago?

Hello one and all,

I have admits from the above three programs.

My background : BS Econ,Math from large midranked state school in the midwest.
6 months internship at a large asset manager doing mostly MO type work.
Research and publication in Probability theory.
Domestic student.

My interest: Generally in Energy/Commodity Derivatives, but open to other fields.

CGU and GaTech seem to have a niche in Energy Risk mgmt etc. OTOH, IIT is in Chicago.

I have read the old threads on these schools, but any new information from current students or recent alumni would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

READ the reviews posted about CGU, IIT, and GATECH on QUANTNET. Many students say the education at IIT is good, but placement isn't great; it's better if you have some experience or connections in Chicago. You may want to contact CGU about their placement, but I believe 30% of domestic students found jobs by the time of graduation. With regard to GATECH, I read in one of the reviews that all domestic students found internships. I have read that they do have strong relationship with energy sector.

You've got a good background and you don't need a visa. You're going to do pretty well. One question is where do you want to work? If your interest is in energy then are you keen on Houston? Are you aiming for NYC or Chicago?

Thanks for the encouragement.
ceteris paribus, I am indifferent between Chicago and Houston if the job is in energy markets. Dont really care much for NYC, but not totally opposed to it either.

similar question: do domestic students at ucla mfe end up doing ok?

I have more information regarding Georgia Tech's placement in energy. Recent graduates have jobs at the following firms: Constoliation, Edison, Dominion Resource, Exelon, Georgia Power, Citi Group

Back