• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE IIT v/s UHouston

Guys! i have applied for Ms Finance program for fall 2012 batch and want some help in selecting a university from the admits I have.

I have been accepted to 5 schools. They are as follows:

1. RIT
2. IIT
3. Claremont Graduate university
4. University of Houston - C.T. Bauer School of Business
5. Penn State Great valley Campus

Out of these 5 after careful consideration of all factors I've shortlisted 2 of them.
They are IIT and University of Houston(C.T. Bauer School of Business)

Can u guys please tell me which out of these would be a better option??

Also, I've applied to University of Texas at Dallas so is it better than the 2 I've shortlisted. Please help.

Thanks

Those are traditional MS Finance programs and not quantitative finance, aren't they?
Maybe Anthony DeAngelis can provide a better picture on them. You can send him a conversation.
Hi Andy! I have also got the admission from IIT but I am still waiting for better choice-Rutgers and UIUC.
IIT asked me to reply them no later than 1st May, while Rutgers just said that they will send me an e-mail once they have made a decision on me and UIUC said that all the decisions will be made before 15th May.
What should I do now? Do you think I still have the chance of being admitted by Rutgers or UIUC? Or should I just accept IIT, as the saying goes, "One sparrow on hand is better than two doves on roof "?
My profiles are as follow,
Top 10 university in China
undergraduate major: urban planning
GRE: verb 490 quant 790 aw 3.5
Tofle: 98
GPA: 85/100, (the average maths score 90+, included calculus 1,2 linear algebra, statistics, ODE, PDE, Complex functions) Still taking the courses of stochastic process
2 months internship in Bank of China

I have seen that some people got the ad from Rutgers in late May and even early June! Is it worthwhile for me to wait?

Yes Andy they are traditional finance programs. But according to you which should be better. I heard IIT has a very bad career service.

Do they give you the option to extend the deadline to answer? Tell them you are still waiting for other decisions.
Can you pay a deposit to secure your place?

Yeah, I can pay a deposit to secure my place in IIT. Anyway, I have just received the rejection from UIUC and I have already made my mind to go to IIT. Since my background is not that strong, I am satisfied with this result. Besides, I can change my major to learn sth I like and I don't care the ranking that much now. What I only wish to do now is to cherish the chance of studying in IIT, make good preparation for further applying, no matter a job or a higher educational background.

All in all, thank you so much, Andy.

Hi Gin! Did you have a chance of talking to any of the seniors at IIT. I really need some help. I am very confused between IIT and UHouston.

Just received a rejection from UTD and have no more pending decisions. Now I need to select from the options I have.
I am reluctant to join IIT coz o its bad career service but its in Chicago. Its much better than Houston I feel. I'll be glad if you could share some thoughts with me.

Thanks

Andy Nguyen: what do you think about IIT? need a frank opinion. Will you recommend it to others?

Also, waht are ur views on Penn State great valley campus?

Hi Gin! Did you have a chance of talking to any of the seniors at IIT. I really need some help. I am very confused between IIT and UHouston.

Just received a rejection from UTD and have no more pending decisions. Now I need to select from the options I have.
I am reluctant to join IIT coz o its bad career service but its in Chicago. Its much better than Houston I feel. I'll be glad if you could share some thoughts with me.

Thanks
Hi, Dhruv! I don't know any seniors from IIT and the main information I get about IIT is from this site:
https://www.quantnet.com/review-iit-mmf-program/
Also, you can search IIT as a key word in the forum of this net, which is also a good way to evaluate the quality of IIT.

Back