• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I'm an old student, need some career advice

I took a long break in college playing poker. This happened for a few years and I was making decent money. But as I got older I decided I want more stability and a “normal” job so I’m near finishing my MS in ECE (top 5 program). Problem is, I’m 30 years old now. I wonder which career path I should take.

Software engineer- I heard that age discrimination is common and that people usually stop coding by the time they hit 30s. Even if I join now, what am I going to do once I hit 40?

Quant analyst – I heard age discrimination is not as bad. Need more math but my math background is respectable. Finance also appeals to me. Only worry is the stress level.

Data Scientist – Similar to above, probably similar to software engineer as far as qualifications go, and can probably go back and forth between the two...

I want to go into something that won't stress me to death, and pay well. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some pay for a less stressful life. But job security is the key. I also don't mind learning new things (in fact i love it). Out of the three paths above, I really want to be a "quant", and work at a hedge fund. I wonder if it's possible since I have no PhD. How do I break in?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think you'll face age discrimination at 30, I was 31 when I joined a hedge fund after graduating from an MFE program. But you will have to explain a career switch.

Programming is a skill that underscores all the job titles that you mention, and it is a pretty valuable skill. As long as you keep up with technology, and your hands can type, you can program until you are old. If you become a manager and stop coding, you'll lose your edge.

Thanks for the replies so far. I made some immature decisions in my 20s and I never want to make that kind of mistake again. I really need to think this through and plan ahead 10, 15 years from now, that's why I'm asking here.

Perhaps I can try quant first and if after a couple of years I don't like it I can change to a data science position? (Just try to hedge my risk so I don't have to start from the bottom again).

I'm applying for internships for the summer 2017. (Will finish my thesis around that time too). My top choice is Citadel, but that might be too hard. Can you recommend some other places where I can at least get some experience in the field and (aside from coding), what I can do to increase my chance of getting the internship.

Thanks

As the age curve steepens there's a serious decline on the ability to focus on micro level thus many move up the value chain towards managerial level where the amount of coding is less significant. Quant requires significant amount of coding & data analysis and its actually a young man's game and if you don't have the stamina for it you are at serious disadvantage.

I took a long break in college playing poker. This happened for a few years and I was making decent money. But as I got older I decided I want more stability and a “normal” job so I’m near finishing my MS in ECE (top 5 program). Problem is, I’m 30 years old now. I wonder which career path I should take.

Software engineer- I heard that age discrimination is common and that people usually stop coding by the time they hit 30s. Even if I join now, what am I going to do once I hit 40?

Quant analyst – I heard age discrimination is not as bad. Need more math but my math background is respectable. Finance also appeals to me. Only worry is the stress level.

Data Scientist – Similar to above, probably similar to software engineer as far as qualifications go, and can probably go back and forth between the two...

I want to go into something that won't stress me to death, and pay well. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some pay for a less stressful life. But job security is the key. I also don't mind learning new things (in fact i love it). Out of the three paths above, I really want to be a "quant", and work at a hedge fund. I wonder if it's possible since I have no PhD. How do I break in?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thanks for the replies so far. I made some immature decisions in my 20s and I never want to make that kind of mistake again. I really need to think this through and plan ahead 10, 15 years from now, that's why I'm asking here.

Perhaps I can try quant first and if after a couple of years I don't like it I can change to a data science position? (Just try to hedge my risk so I don't have to start from the bottom again).

I'm applying for internships for the summer 2017. (Will finish my thesis around that time too). My top choice is Citadel, but that might be too hard. Can you recommend some other places where I can at least get some experience in the field and (aside from coding), what I can do to increase my chance of getting the internship.

Thanks

Quant requires significant amount of coding & data analysis and its actually a young man's game and if you don't have the stamina for it you are at serious disadvantage.

This is an urban myth.

Pure maths is a young man's game (according to GH Hardy) but quant work is not the same.
I think almost everyone programs these days. Anecdotal evidence suggests the average quant spends [70,90]% of time on software (maintain, debug etc. etc.)

30 years young is not old but it could be if you can't program yet.

Last edited:
You definitely lose a bit of edge in concentration as you step into your 30s even though you gain in other spheres. I think your programming talents can be exploited much more resourcefully in 20s than 30s.

Quant requires significant amount of coding & data analysis and its actually a young man's game and if you don't have the stamina for it you are at serious disadvantage.

This is an urban myth.

Pure maths is a young man's game (according to GH Hardy) but quant work is not the same.
I think almost everyone programs these days. Anecdotal evidence suggests the average quant spends [70,90]% of time on software (maintain, debug etc. etc.)

30 years young is not old but it could be if you can't program yet.

You definitely lose a bit of edge in concentration as you step into your 30s even though you gain in other spheres. I think your programming talents can be exploited much more resourcefully in 20s than 30s.
Depends on what is meant by 'programmer' e.g. casual vs professional.

It take > 10 years to become a good programmer. In your 20's you learn fast but you know nothing.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

You definitely lose a bit of edge in concentration as you step into your 30s
Don't agree :) Look around and see how many .. long story short ... you can't generalise..

Last edited:
Back