• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I'm Lost Career-Wise. Tips?

Hello all,
I'm set to graduate this summer (August) and I've yet to know anything about the job market. I found this site and have been reading the threads on here since I've been talking to a prospective employer who is a trading firm in New York about an entry level trading job. It's a bit overwhleming. My major is International Commerce with a minor in Business Administration. After reading this forum, I have a feeling my 3.2 GPA is on the low end for a job in this field. Am I qualified? Would my language skills be of any use as a trader, or anything related? I am fluent in English and Vietnamese, with an intermediate level in Spanish (7 semesters of study with 1 abroad in Spain), and a beginner's French (4 years of study). Any and all tips would be appreciated.

If a company hires you that means they believe you can do the job (i.e. qualified). Your GPA may be somewhat lower than many of those applying to top schools, but by no means is it a deal breaker.

As for language skills, if you consider yourself to be at 'business level' or above they can be useful.

Back