• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Imperial college london's Msc in Risk Management and Msc in mathematics finance

Hi, I notice Imperial has two different programs. Anybody can comment on the difference between them, especially future
career path, admission rate, placement rate?

I checked the courses offered in Risk Management, many of them
are very similar with courses in mathematics finance. So, does thismean one graduate from this program still can do front desk job instead of risk management?

I am wondering the difference is not only between front and middle office. After all, one is under math department and one is under business school.....

By the way, the tracker system here has only Math Finance, no information regarding Risk management...

Thanks!

Hej Smile,
I see that nobody answered you yet... So even if I do not know a lot about the differences in " future career path, admission rate, placement rate" between those 2 MSc. I can still give you my opinion (By the way I will probably go to the MSc mathematics and finance next year ^^):

My feeling is that the stronger your math education is (with respect to be applied to finance field) the easier it will be for you if you want to go on Front Office. As I know it, most of the French FO quant or trader come from highly math selective engineer schools (X, mines, Centrale, Supelec...). Moreover, a lot of people from the IC MSc mathematics and finance end up in trading after 3/4/5 years of quant job.

So if you like mathematics and finance, it is a quite sure path if you want to go to FO.

After that, I do not know a lot of stuff about the MSc Risk Mgmt and Financial Engineering of Imperial College, but as you say it, some courses are in common with the MSc MathFin.

If you find it relevant, admission ratio for mathematic department = 8:1 while for the business school = 6:1 in postgraduate
( http://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/planning/Public/stats_card/statscard_2010.pdf )

Finally, in my opinion, whatever MSc you choose, it's your personal skills that will make the difference.

Cheers

ps: For the tracker (IC MSc in RMFE), I agree, it will be great to create it

Thanks. Michel and Andy.

I was asking because Imperial will allow you to choose two programs when you apply.
If you apply for business school, you can choose RMFE as 1st, and MSMF as 2nd choice.
But if you apply through science and engineering school, you can only choose MSMF as 1st choice and no any option from business school....(only nature science and computing..)

But anyway, based on Michel's data, if one fail on RMFE, i don't think he/she will have chance to be admitted to more competitive MSMF (especially as 2nd choice) ...I will go for MSMF as first choice :)

Back