• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Imperial College-MSc Risk Management

Dear Members

I got admit offer from Imperial College London for their MSc Risk Management and Fin. Engg. course, but I really cannot decide weater to go for it. My concerns are (i) I am not sure if 12 months course would be suitable to prepare me for a front office type IB job, since my back ground is not finance(I am an elec. engineer) and I do not have relevent work ex (ii) the UK economy is sluggish and may not recover a lot in 1 year, so job opportunities might be pretty limited. I wanted to know if my concerns are valid. Also please share your opinion about this course and about its career prospects.

Thanks for your reply.

My brother works for a German bank in the City (collaterised commercial mortgages). He tells me some banks are hiring but just one or two here and there. The recruitment is not like it used to be. It will be very difficult for you because 1) your previous experience is not relevant, 2) you are not an EU citizen, and 3) the UK is not the US, and it's a bit more difficult, ceteris paribus, for Indians to get jobs.

Groucho Marx never wanted to join any club that would admit the likes of him to membership. In like vein ask why Imperial is admitting you. They must be charging 15,000 - 20,000 pounds for the course -- with no guarantee of subsequent placement. Ask yourself if it's worth it.

Back