• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Imperial Math Fin with Econ background?

So I emailed the course about what types of backgrounds they consider, as it seems like they are willing to consider people who didn’t come from pure maths, stats, applied maths or physics depending on the content of the course.

My question is mainly do you think an Economics background would be considered? Or are they likely to just through the application out the window without reading it too hard? They didn’t want to tell me which is a bit annoying but I guess consistent, it’s a business at the end of the day.

For context, I had a robust education in Econometrics (using linear algebra and taking it all the way up to panel data. Both least squares and maximum likelihood methods, as well as studying cointegration methods). Martingales, Brownian Motion and random walks are all things I’ve been introduced to. The course was also very heavy in calculus so I have familiarity with some pretty tough integration problems as well as ODEs and PDEs. We’ve been introduced to things like Taylor Series Expansions and Eigenvectors but without having to fully derive them. Is that enough or would I come in and instantly be completely out of my depth?

Do you know anybody who’s come from an Economics or Finance background who has gotten into the course?

It’s not the end of the world, as I’ve already received an offer from RMFE which is still a great second option, but I’d like to try maximise my career impact if I’m paying £45k

I know two person with math with econ degree get accepted by Oxford MCF while rejected by Imperial MathFin. I do not know what their standard is but generally MCF students have better profile than MF students so this seems a bit weird to me.

I know two person with math with econ degree get accepted by Oxford MCF while rejected by Imperial MathFin. I do not know what their standard is but generally MCF students have better profile than MF students so this seems a bit weird to me.
Okay that’s interesting. Hopefully that makes me a bit lucky for MCF lol. Do you know anything more about their backgrounds? Like which universities they attended? Happy to discuss in DMs instead

Back