• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Implied volatility measure for Asia ex. Japan market?

I am wondering if there is an implied volatility index for Asia ex Japan markets, just like the VIX index for the US market.

I couldn't find one, so I was thinking of taking the weighted average of implied volatility indices of Australia (57.44%), Hong Kong (29.94%) , New Zealand (1.82%), and Singapore (10.8%), where the weights are the country weights of MSCI Pacific ex Japan Index.

However, it looks like New Zealand and Singapore do not have the indices as well.

Does anyone know of the existence of those indices?

Thank you.

I don't trade internationally and have no idea if there is much options liquidity there in those two countries. Without a liquid market I doubt people would want to build a volatility index. But there is another way.

EWS is the largest Singapore ETF trading in the US, maybe look at its correlation to the specific index and draw a conclusion if you can use the ETF's Implied volatility instead. ENZL is the New Zealand ETF, but its' option's are sparse. Probably won't get much use out of it.

Back