• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Importance of Major vs Minor

Hello
I'm on track to complete my bachelor's in mechanical engineering with a minor in math (from a non-target US school). I want to pivot into finance and become a Quant Researcher (particularly at a hedge fund). I could take three additional classes (Complex analysis, modern algebra, and number theory) to get a BA in math; however, they are not very relevant to quantitative finance (except maybe complex analysis). I would have to push my graduation back a semester (however, I planned to graduate in the Fall anyway, so it wouldn't push back grad school. It wouldn't cost me any additional money since I have scholarships, only time and opportunity costs.
How much will MFE programs (and other grad schools) care if I have a minor vs BA? Do they only care about your specific classes?

Back