• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Institutional desk or Risk management

Hi Guys,
I am interning at a large inter-broker dealer (think MF Global/Newedge).It is of a rotational programme where I am getting to move around different areas such as assisting sales traders in daily execution functions , experiencing the job responsibilities of both a retail and CTA clerk,Standing in the pit assisting brokers with checking trades,counts etc.
There is also a Risk Management team and I am interested in that area since my background matches more towards the quantitative side(pursuing MSc Finance) . I might get a FT offer but dont know in which department and therefore i want my supervisor to know as to which area i am inclined towards ..as in sitting on an institutitional desk or in the Risk management division.
IMO institutional sales/broker will be looked down upon when i try for a job in BBs which is my ultimate aim.
What do you guys think ?

If your goal is to work in risk management at BB, then starting it in RM group now makes much more sense.
If your goal is to work on a trading desk later, having worked with traders work but I don't see anything technical or relevant in what you currently do.

Thanks Andy for replyin..

i agree that i dont have anything technical or relevant that i am doing in my internship..because these people are no traders..just brokers..executing trades..therefore i feel that that i wont learn anything that could get me on a trading desk later..
But then i am scared that Risk Management might pigeonhole me and i will never be able to do anything but more risk management...what could be my exit opportunities if I start in risk management..will i be able to move to a quantitative research type role??

Couple of points to consider:
1. A P&L generating role can be more financially rewarding than a risk-control function
2. An execution role on broker side might give you more understanding of market-micro structure to help you develop your own models for later
3. If you eventually want to trade, an execution position that puts you in touch with buy-side traders calling you with orders, may not be a bad start

Back