• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interesting blog article

atreides

Graduate Student
I was looking at my blog which I hadn't visited for at least 6 months now, and came across one of my earlier blog entries (Dec 07). I thought it would be an interesting read and so I wanted to share it with y'all....enjoy reading

So I was at the local freebird's burrito joint chewing down on my 10 inch lenght , 6 inch diameter monster burrito. I was really hungry that day and I wanted to get maximum utility out of my $6.50..Chowing down on that monster just made my day. So as I was tasking my mandibles to their capacity, I overheard the guy next to me talking to the student manager of freebirds about operations research and increasing efficiency by utilizing infinite probability distribution. This guy sitting next to me looked just like a classic hippy (slurred speech, southern accent , dirty and shabby beard)...oh yeah the classic hippy....but I heard these big words emanating from his mouth, so I listened further and he was still trying to explain how freebirds management could use the results of gaussian approximation to effectively model demand and supply through that branch...I was like oh my God ...this is no fluke . this guy is for real....so I took it upon myself to engage this guy in a conversation. I casually asked him if he knew anything about the Poincare conjecture , this problem was setup by Poincare in the early 1900's and it had puzzled mathematicians for decades. I remember it was solved in 2003 by a Russian math guru. I still recall this because my calculus professor at the time walked into class looking so excited because the conjecture had been solved..Anyways , my newly found friend started explaining the basics of the conjecture and proudly claimed that he had solved it working independently in 2005 using only 95 equations...I didn't know whether to be suprised or awe-struck or amazed ...I was like this guy must be a genius...He kept throwing around big words like mathematical simplices, curvilinear interpolation, newton approximation...After talking for a while he explained that he retired in the 80's and just had math as a hobby right now and funny enough, his background was in chemistry. He also explained bernoulli's equation and some other random concepts. Some of them I had heard off while the rest I hadn't...In all I ended up spending about 35 minutes with this dude...He is obviously good at his stuff, maybe he just lost it somewhere along the way...The whole encounter was just like from a movie script ...kind of reminds me of the movie Good Will Hunting....pheww..

Back