• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interesting Math Problem

It is a real problem I also encounter almost every morning: Shall I wait for the bus or just walk to the subway station. For those live in Flushing or Queens, you will know I mean :wall

I just found out there are three mathematicians have the same problem and they did come up with a paper for it this month.

In this recreational mathematics note, we address a simple, yet instructive question:
Justin has to travel a distance of d miles along a bus route. Along this route, there are n bus stops i, each spaced at a distance of d_i from the starting point. At each bus stop, Justin is faced with a choice: to walk or to wait. If he walks on, he can still catch a bus at the next bus stop--but if a bus passes him while he walks, he is almost assured a longer wait.
We model Justin's decision constraint and completely solve the model in a special case. The answer is intuitive: the optimal strategy is the laziest.
here is the link

And here is the 3 pages long paper

Attachments

• Lazy_Walk_0801.0297v2.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 36
Hey,
that is some easy game theory stuff.
In traffic science it is also well-known, that to be caught up in a traffic jam beats to drive detour.
I think this could be related.

So I wait this evening for the bus :yawinkle:

That problem is part of New Yorker's daily life. But most of us won't bother to think of it.
Indeed, I am walking to subway station in the morning at least twice a week. And most of the time I beat the buses. :) That translates I am losing money on my Metro Card. LOL

Right,
but you need more food and less gym-workout. ;)

Lazy mathematicians......Really!!!

Now I read the paper some days back and actually found the article to contain a lot of "errors "(though the final result as expected is correct). I had written to the authors but they haven't responded. I am attaching the clarifications I had demanded.
Since they haven't responded I wanted to confirm whether I have understood the problem correctly and cross check my "maths". If not, then the mathematicians who wrote the paper are indeed lazy ( ;) )

Attachments

• Lazy_Mathematician_Clarifications.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 19
Back