• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Internship Advice

I'm a junior CS and Applied Major and I have a tough decision between a couple internship offers.

1. Offer at a decent (but not top) prop trading firm more on the developing side -- I'm really hoping that I'll be involved in some sort of strategy research but I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not.

2. Offer in a stress testing department doing a lot of data analysis with SAS.

I'm in desperate need of advice and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Don't take offer 1 with the expectation of not doing solely development. Probably offer 2 if you don't wanna pigeon hole yourself.

Choose the first one as after graduation it may help you in getting a job in some better trading firm, provided you are interested to work later in trading.

expectation
I'm not afraid of just doing development but I want something that will be versatile in terms of getting a slightly more research/finance oriented FT role.

Deep down I want to take the prop trading developer role (due to the trading aspect) so thanks for validating that. Again my qualm with that is being too detached from the actual trading side.

I would also go with option # 1... if you can perform really well, there will always be a chance of moving to the trading role. C++/Python developers are also in high demand for HFT firms.

On the other hand, SAS job won't be fun in the long run, IMHO.

I would also go with option # 1... if you can perform really well, there will always be a chance of moving to the trading role. C++/Python developers are also in high demand for HFT firms.

On the other hand, SAS job won't be fun in the long run, IMHO.
Great points. The SAS didn't really thrill me. Thanks -- I think you just sealed the deal for me :D

PS: I actually love using SAS... it is very powerful... but anybody can do SAS... you don't need a CS degree to do SAS... and a few years of C++ developer experience will be much more sexy on the job market than a few years of SAS experience...

Back