• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

internship or position

Hi,

would you advise someone who has PhD in EE and good knowledge of FE and programming to apply for an internship or directly for a job ?

Let's say : in order to become an algo quant, but doesn't really matter.

so internship/job ?

cheers

Are you still in school?

I've never heard of an algo internship....but having a relevant internship is always helpful. For some firms, an internship is an extended interview where they can evaluate you and determine if you fit into the culture.

If you have already graduated, you may want to just try applying for jobs.

- Don't know if it is very common, but I've seen it at least once (i think it was at "jump trading").

- Yes, already graduated + a short experience in research (science not finance)

Are you still in school?

I've never heard of an algo internship....but having a relevant internship is always helpful. For some firms, an internship is an extended interview where they can evaluate you and determine if you fit into the culture.

If you have already graduated, you may want to just try applying for jobs.

Take whatever you can get. You can find algo trading related internships at various prop firms websites. As you mentioned Jump Trading is one of them.

Back