• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interview with Barclays

CGiuliano

Lowly Undergrad
Hello,

I have an interview this thursday for a summer financial analyst position at Barclays Capital. This is my first real interview ever. Can someone give me some insight on what to expect and how to prepare?

Thanks.

You will probably be asked questions and be expected to answer them.

Financial analyst sounds like a basic business position so more likely the questions will be geared towards the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" type.

So you don't think there will be a quantitative component?

So you don't think there will be a quantitative component?

Do you have a more in depth description of the position? To be honest, most "summer analyst" type positions aren't that interesting or glamorous, they're there to get a good name on your resume and get used to working in a corporate environment.

In any case, try to find that out and if you want the job then try to appear genuinely interested/enthusiastic about it. There's a pretty cheap book called something like "200 questions to ask on your interview" written for candidates. I'd suggest something like that to put you in the right mindset. Job interviewing might sound easy and for some it comes naturally, but at the same time it's very easy for inexperienced interviewees to make mistakes that cost them the job.

Edit: Link to book: http://www.amazon.com/201-Best-Questions-Your-Interview/dp/0071387730/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2_rlrsrs0
Just read the preview there if nothing else.

Back