• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Interview with Morgan Stanley - Summer Internship- help?

Joy Pathak

Swaptionz
Hey guys,

I got an upcoming interview with morgan stanley and was wondering if you guys could give me some possible insight into it? They did not give me any specific into what position it is for but I showed interest for trading positions so I am assuming analyst in Sales n Trading? I showed interest in Internship so I am assuming it is for an internship. They said absolutely nothing about the position in the email, just what time would be good to set up a phone interview. Screening I think. I sent my resume initially to a general recruiting email of MS. I did not apply to a specific job.

All I have is a Mech Eng bachelors. I mentioned I am starting my Masters in FE in fall 2010. I have lots of Computational Fluid Dynamics knowledge.

I am currently doing research in 2 finance topics with profs. This will lead to two papers.

Any idea on what kind of questions I can expect?

The person interviewing me is a PhD. Should I assume a lot of technical stuff?

Any form of information is greatly appreciated.

Be ready for some stats and probability questions, I'm guessing, as well as discuss everything on your resume in detail.

It's really strange they MS did provide you which department that would send you for interview. You can send HR email to verify.
Very hard to predict what kind of questions will be ask, the best preparation is to know every single bullet point you claimed on your CV. Good luck.

It's really strange they MS did provide you which department that would send you for interview. You can send HR email to verify.
Very hard to predict what kind of questions will be ask, the best preparation is to know every single bullet point you claimed on your CV. Good luck.

I think it is for the "Model Review Group"? I looked through my old sent emails and saw part of that in the user email.

Any specific idea on this group? From what I understand they basically test trading models that quants come up with? "Review" all valuation models? I am not entirely sure. Cannot mind much information on this group.

I think it is for the "Model Review Group"? I looked through my old sent emails and saw part of that in the user email.

Any specific idea on this group? From what I understand they basically test trading models that quants come up with? "Review" all valuation models? I am not entirely sure. Cannot mind much information on this group.

Is it Model Review under MRD? As far as I know they are expanding and the intern of summer 2009 from NYU finally got an offer from the group.

Is it Model Review under MRD? As far as I know they are expanding and the intern of summer 2009 from NYU finally got an offer from the group.

Yes it is the one under MRD department. With this information, do you see any possible questions the person might ask me during the interview? What kind of skills do they usually look for in this position?
I personally love doing empirical analysis on different theories, so it would be an ideal position for me as I would get to learn a lot.

Like I said, I only have a Mech Eng degree but working on empirical papers in corporate finance and one on trading strategies.

Yes it is the one under MRD department. With this information, do you see any possible questions the person might ask me during the interview? What kind of skills do they usually look for in this position?
I personally love doing empirical analysis on different theories, so it would be an ideal position for me as I would get to learn a lot.

Like I said, I only have a Mech Eng degree but working on empirical papers in corporate finance and one on trading strategies.

Most of the group are hard core PHD's looking through models used in front desks and validate them. Since you are ME background, but basic idea of financial models are math/stat/stochastic...I think the questions are quite basic (also you have no relevant working experience). I do not work in that group, can't tell you what are they going to ask you. I would just suggest, know your own CV well :)

Good luck.

Most of the group are hard core PHD's looking through models used in front desks and validate them. Since you are ME background, but basic idea of financial models are math/stat/stochastic...I think the questions are quite basic (also you have no relevant working experience). I do not work in that group, can't tell you what are they going to ask you. I would just suggest, know your own CV well :)

Good luck.

Haha. Intense.

I am excited.

Thanks for suggestions. Appreciate it.

Back