• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Introduction and Questions

Hello everyone,

My name is Dylan, I'm a rising sophomore at UC Berkeley, majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, pursuing a double major in Applied Mathematics with a concentration in Econ. I started looking into quantitative finance relatively recently and decided that it looks like something I'd want to pursue. My current academic plan is tailored towards Haas' MFE program - since they post their prerequisites in terms of classes I can directly take, though I've been looking at many MFE/MSCF programs, especially in NY.

I'm wondering what resources/books are recommended that might help a math/science geek such as myself get more acquainted with finance - the concepts, practices, terminology, etc. I plan on investing in a book or two in the near future on financial engineering but I'm not sure what kind of knowledge they assume the reader already has about finance, and I'd like to get caught up.

I'm also looking for resources regarding internships in quantitative finance and the like, or at least ones more accessible for engineering/math majors who are looking for an internship in the financial world. I'd be very interested in hearing what kind of experiences people have had in that regard.

Also, if anyone has any general tips/advice for someone just starting out, they'd be much appreciated.

I look forward to getting acquainted with the site/community, it's a great resource. Thanks everyone!

Dylan

Back