• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Introductory Material

Here's some introductory material I've come across.

Attachments

• Overview and History of Statistics for Equity Markets.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 87
  • INTERNATIONAL EQUITY MARKETS.pdf
    597.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pimco_yield_curve_primer.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 01 Invoice Prices, Cash Flows, and Yields on Treasury Bonds.PDF
    818.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 02 Duration- an Introduction to the Concept and its Uses.PDF
    443.8 KB · Views: 46
  • A Primer on the GCF Repo.pdf
    763.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Reference Guide to US Repo.pdf
    763.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Short Primer on IG.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 35
  • hyprimer.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 31
  • CLOMarketPrimer FEB 2016 MS.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
  • primer_180821.pdf
    760.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Munis Barclays.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CalTech FI.pdf
    379.7 KB · Views: 45
  • FX Wiley A Foreign Exchange Primer.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • FX ibiv_forex.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • fundamentals-of-the-us-power-industry_eia-pdf.7072.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 113-characteristics-of-fluctuations-in-wheat-prices-pdf.7069.PDF
    652.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 72-characteristics-of-fluctuations-in-the-prices-of-crude-oil-and-its-refined-fuels-pdf.7068.pdf
    670.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 67-hydrocarbon-fuels-from-well-fluids-to-refined-products-pdf.7067.PDF
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • amaranth-pdf.7054.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • Fundamentals of the US Power Industry (EIA).pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
  • ey-wealth-management-outlook-2018.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
And some more, mostly on power:
Solar

Power in General

And some more, mostly on power:
Solar

Power in General
Are power markets in need of more quants? They certainly aren't the one of the more popular career paths out of school, but some of those electricity documents look really interesting

Are power markets in need of more quants? They certainly aren't the one of the more popular career paths out of school, but some of those electricity documents look really interesting
I used to think that the best OR professionals went into airline scheduling. Then I studied power. The implementation of efficient Locational Marginal Pricing schemata presents far more challenging problems.

I used to think that the best OR professionals went into airline scheduling. Then I studied power. The implementation of efficient Locational Marginal Pricing schemata presents far more challenging problems.
What would be an approach to risk management for power markets? I am also interested in this area as it combines traditional engineering with finance. We are seeing more implications of this in the recent months with the TX power grids especially with battery storage projects where revenue comes from energy arbitrage which settles at the node or ancillary services.

Overall, volatility appears to be wanted in markets for battery storage projects since they can profit on the delta, so therefore if volatility is wanted the downside here would just be stable wholesale energy prices.

Ormat's Rabbit Hill Storage project in TX lost more in their hedges than likely the entire CapEx of the project. Even though this was due to other reasons (i.e. inability operate / charge for performing its RRS contracted obligations), still looks like it is a challenge for these new generation facilities. The winter event itself definitely doesn't look like a "black swan" event either as we are seeing similar conditions manifesting itself this summer in not just TX but other RTO's.

Back