• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is GRE AWA 3.0 hopeful?

Hi guys,
I am a undergraduate student from Taiwan, planning to apply tier 1 MFE program in USA.
Of course English is not my native language, so I only scored 3.0 in my GRE AWA. (V:620, Q:800)
I want to know whether this below-average score would significantly matter when applying the MFE program.

Besides my bad AWA score,
I think that everything is okay since I took lots of relevant courses, GPA 3.8, and related intern experinece.
Oh, I haven't taken TOEFL exam.
Can I just prove my English writing ability by TOEFL exam?

Thanks for your precios answer.

Best regards.

I'm going to give you some peek into how this would work inside the admission office

If you apply to programs that conduct personal interviews, English language is one of the most important skills they want to access. Those programs are Baruch, CMU, UCB, Princeton, etc

For those programs, if you have great profile but low AWA as the only flaw in your application, your chance of getting an interview is very good.

Now the second set of programs that don't conduct interviews (Columbia, NYU, the rest), they will use everything in your application to best gauge your English skill.

You don't study in an English speaking institution, which means you will have to take the TOEFL and do well. 100-110 is par and you should try for 110+.

If you spend several years in the US doing undergrad or graduate study, that experience would work in your favor. You don't need TOEFL and besides no language test can supplement the experience living among English native speakers.

Your essay would play some part in showing your ability. If you have a low AWA and have an essay that reads like Mark Twain, it's a red flag. If you have a high AWA but your essay that reads like it belongs to a 8th grader in a public school, it's also a big no-no.

The point is, you can't spend your life speaking another language to improve your English. You have participate in an environment where English is the main language.

The internet is a good place to start. Do you have a blog where you write English daily? Do you participate on forums like Quantnet frequently? How often you argue your point with native English speakers?

I would want to make sure that if I admit you, you would be able to step off the airplane and talking to American without missing a beat. Why you ask? Because you would be seeking internship right at the end of your first semester in the US and it would look bad for the program if the interviewers can't understand what you say or write.

There are a lot of way that you can improve and "prove" your language skills. Don't expect people to use your AWA and TOEFL alone to be able to judge your English. It's really hard.

Keep in mind English is a small part of your whole package, you can easily have great scores and still fail to do homework in other part of your application. But that's another question.

As a personal general guide, AWA 4-4.5 would be in the middle of the pack. Your AWA is way off that range. If you are confident in your English, retake it and get 5-6.

Disclosure: I'm doing admission for one of the programs above that does not interview.

To Andy Nguyen:

Thank you for your helpful advise. Taking GRE exam is extremely inconvenient for people in Taiwan since PBT is only held twice a year or we have to take CBT abroad, so I really hesitated whether I should retake GRE for my low AWA score. I will evaluate myself to determine retaking it or not. (Even if I retake it, I don't think that I will get 5-6, which is so hard for me now. I guess it will be 4.5 at most.)

Surely, you are right. Now I know that there are lots of works other than GRE AWA that I have to overcome, and English is one of the cruxes. As you mentioned, Internet is a good begining. I found that this forum is cool and I think I will keep following Quant network frequently.

Thank you again, and I am looking forward to that I can get your admission.

I don't know if the admission committees like this, but you can take an English writing course at a local college. And, when you apply, explain in you SoP that its not convenient taking the GRE in Taiwan and that you decided to take an English course, instead.

I'm going to give you some peek into how this would work inside the admission office

If you apply to programs that conduct personal interviews, English language is one of the most important skills they want to access. Those programs are Baruch, CMU, UCB, Princeton, etc

Disclosure: I'm doing admission for one of the programs above that does not interview.

I have a quick question, do you know if everyone who is admitted to Princeton is invited to an interview? If so, about what time would Princeton send out the invitation? Their response deadline is March 1st I believe.

Back