• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is it possible for me to become a quant analyst?

I'm 21 years old and studying computer science. Someday I want to work in quantitative finance and be a quant for a hedge fund. To be honest a while ago I had a little run in with law enforcement which resulted me having a low class misdemeanor which I'm currently working on getting expunged and a few hours of community service since it was my first and only offense. Despite of having an expunged misdemeanor record is it still possible for me to become a quant?

Last edited:
I'm 21 years old and studying computer science. Someday I want to work in quantitative finance and be a quant for a hedge fund. To be honest a while ago I had a little run in with law enforcement which resulted me having a low class misdemeanor which I'm currently working on getting expunged and a few hours of community service since it was my first and only offense. Despite of having an expunged misdemeanor record is it still possible for me to become a quant?
not a problem. I have a FBI record (don't ask) that shows up all the time in background checks. It all depends on how badly the want you.

Don't know what the FBI has to do with this, but other than that its that bad huh? Well now I know I won't have a chance cause of something I did back when I was a teenager. Oh well last time I posted on this website from the looks of it quant jobs aren't really going to be around years down the line anyways.

Huh? I'm pretty sure it will legitimately not matter at all if it's a misdemeanor.

But can't institutions like DE Shaw, Renaissance Tech, and Two Sigma can pay some agency or something and get it that way? Since its all private sector and they have access to things like that? I'm just wondering

Last edited:
I can't say I understand how you got from pingu's "not a problem" to "well now I know I won't have a chance," and if the conclusion you drew from your (flawed) logic was "oh well, I think it's a dying industry anyway," then I'd say you have absolutely no business being in it to begin with. ;)

I looked at the comment wrong. I thought pingu was talking about me at first because I thought she meant she had an FBI record database or something? And the reason I said I won't have a chance because even though I'm working on getting my misdemeanor expunged can't they (hedge funds) just pay some agency to look it up or just search my name on the internet?

Back