• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Is it possible to pass Baruch interview with no C++ experience?

I noticed that Baruch MFE Prereq includes C++ as a must and it seems that they have a high expectation when interviewing. I'm just curious what if I don't have C++ experience, does that mean I have 0 chance even to get in the interview? Or how difficult is it to learn C++ in a short time period?

B.T.W I was a data science researcher with python experience; 1 yr ft experience in top fintech firm.

I noticed that Baruch MFE Prereq includes C++ as a must and it seems that they have a high expectation when interviewing. I'm just curious what if I don't have C++ experience, does that mean I have 0 chance even to get in the interview? Or how difficult is it to learn C++ in a short time period?

B.T.W I was a data science researcher with python experience; 1 yr ft experience in top fintech firm.

Even if you could pass the interview without C++, why would you want to? As far as I know there are five Baruch courses that demand C++. You'll be thrown in at the deep end. If you can't already code proficiently in C++, you will drown.

You need to meet all of the pre-requisites in order to qualify for being invited to interview for admission:

Prerequisites. Applicants are required to have taken the following minimal set of courses:

• Calculus (two semesters)
  • Probability (one semester)
  • Linear Algebra (one semester)
  • C++ (one semester or certificate)
  • Finance (one semester, or relevant work experience)
Only courses passed with a grade of B or better qualify as prerequisites.

Insight on why C++ is important:
"C++ is the differentiator between good and very good developers"

Quantnet/Baruch/Daniel Duffy C++ certificates:

C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
Advanced C++ and Modern Design

Some more random one-liners on the importance of C++:

1. It will be here forever, in all industries. C++ was born in 1983. yours truly has been usimg it since 1989. I was the first C++ programmer in The Netherlands.
2. The only truly multiparadigm language ('tho C# comes close).
3. Major applications in many domains have been written in C++.
4. High levels of interoperabilty.
5. C++ is based on robust Computer Science principles. It teaches good programming SKILLS.
6. Best language for mathematical/numerical applications.
7. It forces you to be disciplined and avoids "big balls of mud" code.

//
CPPCourse.jpg

If you know C/C++, learn RUST will take you no more than a week (idem Python).
I agree; about 1 week to install and + hello world.
If you know Italian, you learn a bit of Spanish fast but it will take longer to think in Spanish.
And becoming fluent is not easy.

Many C++ developers don't use templates..

Last edited:
Rust aims "to be as efficient and portable as idiomatic C++, without sacrificing safety

It that all?
Rust == C+- ???

What has Rust got to convince yours truly to use it? As Dominic Connor might ask: is it a quiche language?

It is #26 in the Billboard Top 100

Last edited:
One more thing ..

Learning how to "program" by code copy and paste from StackExchange is a road to nowhere.

You need to meet all of the pre-requisites in order to qualify for being invited to interview for admission:

Prerequisites. Applicants are required to have taken the following minimal set of courses:

Hi!

I noticed that the prerequisites explicitly mention one semester of C++ is to be taken. At my university, the language primarily used is C and most of the courses which I did were in C. The main course which is mentioned in the transcript is Computer Programming, which was basically an introduction to C.

I do have experience in coding with both C and C++. Also, to cover OOP aspects we had a course, Object Oriented Programming which was done in Java (I am a computer science undergrad). I'd like to clarify whether I meet the prerequisites or I need to still have a certificate in C++?

Thanks

Hi!

I noticed that the prerequisites explicitly mention one semester of C++ is to be taken. At my university, the language primarily used is C and most of the courses which I did were in C. The main course which is mentioned in the transcript is Computer Programming, which was basically an introduction to C.

I do have experience in coding with both C and C++. Also, to cover OOP aspects we had a course, Object Oriented Programming which was done in Java (I am a computer science undergrad). I'd like to clarify whether I meet the prerequisites or I need to still have a certificate in C++?

Thanks
The best way to receive the right answer to such questions is to send an email with the information above and anything else that would be relevant to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu

Good luck

Even if you could pass the interview without C++, why would you want to? As far as I know there are five Baruch courses that demand C++. You'll be thrown in at the deep end. If you can't already code proficiently in C++, you will drown.
Sounds like you, bigbadwolf when you don't even know how to trade, or have an opinion of the market or when your client pulls all the money out. go home! Don't bully those who want to stay and try and outrun you!

Original question - answer - You can always take a class to gain proficiency at the school. Right to education, don't forget that.

Hi!

Thanks
We should be able to take all these pre-requisites on campus. When will they be available?

Daniel Duffy is handing out the certificates!!! :) Yay

Back