• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is MFE for me?

Hi Andy/Others,

This would be an introduction as well as a query session. Here goes:

Im 29, done a M.A. in Economics (didnt really like it so much), have a Bachelors in Maths, Stats , Economics. Always was good in quant, but am not a geek, not very great with numbers, Was good in maths, but then again not a math geek.

I have been working as a business/data analyst for a few years now, mainly on SAS.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the MFE for me? I mean i dont really know what else to do since quant was kinda my thing. The other thing i can look at is the mba? So please advise
2. Ive looked at Baruch and NTU for the financial engineering courses, but they are way too expensive for me. Could you suggest some good schools for financial engineering which are less expensive and affordable?
3. What are the kind of people who get into these programes . Are they all geeks/techies, coz im not like that and I dont wanna fall into a pool like that and feel like i wish i hadnt landed here. I would like to be in a mixed group, people with different backgrounds.
4. What if i dont want to work for anyone after the MFE, like maybe go into teaching, or consultancy, is that possible?
5. What does a typical MFE do? What is the career path? Could you please tell me the long term career path? Do they finally go in for an MBA?
6. My final question for now would be , who is the typical and ideal person suited for the MFE program?

Thanks a ton in advance if i do get detailed and suitable answers to all these questions.

Regards
nothingelsematters

Baruch is too expensive? I don't think you've done your homework.

A good quant is driven and obsessive. Your whole post smacks of a different personality type. I don't think it will be a good fit.

You should do more research before posting; look around these and other forums (see my signature for several links), and program websites, as many questions are answered.

1. Is the MFE for me? I mean i dont really know what else to do since quant was kinda my thing. The other thing i can look at is the mba? So please advise

I agree with the previous poster.

2. Ive looked at Baruch and NTU for the financial engineering courses, but they are way too expensive for me. Could you suggest some good schools for financial engineering which are less expensive and affordable?

The entire Baruch degree is under $20,000 for out-of-state students, and $10,000 for in-state... that's several times less than other programs.

3. What are the kind of people who get into these programes . Are they all geeks/techies, coz im not like that and I dont wanna fall into a pool like that and feel like i wish i hadnt landed here. I would like to be in a mixed group, people with different backgrounds.

For Baruch, look in the "Introductions" forum; there is a profile on each student for the last three or four years. That should give you a pretty good idea. Many backgrounds, almost all technical. We don't have big D&D sessions, if that's what you're asking. (?!)

4. What if i dont want to work for anyone after the MFE, like maybe go into teaching, or consultancy, is that possible?

I don't think anyone would hire an MFE grad to teach without experience, but that's just a suspicion. Financial consulting is a possibility, but again, not sure anyone does that.

5. What does a typical MFE do? What is the career path? Could you please tell me the long term career path? Do they finally go in for an MBA?

Look at A career in Quantitative Finance: Where do you fit in? - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum and at the "career guides" here: Master reading list for MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum

6. My final question for now would be , who is the typical and ideal person suited for the MFE program?

Look at the student profiles, and visit the websites of NYU MFE, Columbia, CMU, Baruch. They tell you what they look for.

I have only one answer:

1. Is the MFE for me?

NO. For the reasons explained above. If you think I'm wrong, prove it and go for it without asking questions.

Back