• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is my background sufficient to get into an MFE program?

Hello,
I am interested in applying to MFE programs for the fall of 2012; however, I am not sure if my background is sufficient to get into an MFE program. Can someone critique my background and suggest areas of improvement?
Bachelor’s in Mathematics from a top 15 U.S. university
3.62/4.00 Overall GPA
3.68/4.00 Math GPA
Courses taken: 3 courses on calculus including multivariate calculus, differential equations, matrix algebra, probability, 3 courses on statistics including mathematical statistics, biostatistics (used R) and statistical computation (used SAS)
Programming skills: taken courses in MATLAB, SAS, R, however my knowledge of these programs is weak since I only took one class in each and have not used these programs since I graduated 2 years ago. Since I started working, I have taught myself VBA and have become proficient. I have no experience with C++.
Currently, I am working at a fixed income asset management firm as a consultant. Some analytical work is involved but I do not use heavy technical skills characteristic of a quant every day. I try to find projects that I can write code for to streamline reports (and I have). Despite the lack of quant skills in my job, I am building my knowledge of the fixed income markets.
I have not taken the GRE yet, but plan on doing so in the next couple of weeks.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am interested in applying to MFE programs for the fall of 2012

Take certifying course of C++ before it and try to get high score in GRE, that should be enough given the rest of your background.

Thanks, Tsotne! Since I am working I would prefer to take an online C++ certifying course. I heard Berkeley offers one. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks Andy!

One concern I have with my resume is a withdraw from a course called "Options Pricing" in my university's math department. I had to withdraw from the class because I was overloaded with work and I was trying to find a job (during the fall of '08). Will the withdraw be a serious problem on my application? Should I take a similar course to override the withdraw?

I don't know if you should take that same course (sounds like a good course to take for an MFE program) but I'd definitely recommend taking 1 or 2 finance courses, since your background is mostly math. Just take a C++ course as already mentioned, find a couple of strong recommendations, and show that you have some formal knowledge of finance.

Thanks for the recommendation, Carlo. I took a few business courses in undergrad, including Intro to Finance, and did very well (A). I currently work at a fixed income asset management firm, so my knowledge of fixed income finance is pretty strong. Would you have any further recommendations?

Back