• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is my GRE score sufficient to enter in a top notch MFE program?

Good point Andy. I figured this was a recent thread because it was in the latest post section but the scores are from last year. I'll check the dates next time.

I have only recently come across the quantnet resource and begun to more seriously consider the Baruch MFE Program. Like individuals in prior posts I have some concerns about my GRE scores and the best path moving forward to make myself a more viable candidate for an MFE placement in general. My undergraduate background is in Mechanical Engineering from Boston University (3.4/4.0) and I have subsequently taken courses in C++ , and java as a non-matriculated student in computer science (4.0/4.0) and also spent a semester at Boston University as a Masters Degree student in computer/software engineering (3.8/4.0). [I left graduate school to take a job (which I currently still hold) as a software developer at a financial services company in Boston]

I scored the following on the old version of the GRE: 730 Q and 630 V and was wondering if it would be for better or worse to retake the GRE? I am quite confident in my ability to perform better and am aware that the GRE is given in a new format since I last took it. What is the consensus on whether or not taking the GRE multiple times can be a detriment to an application? I am realistically looking to apply for Sept. 2013 and am looking for some guidance to improve my chances of admission between now and then.

Thanks in advance for advice/critiques.

I would definately advise you to take it again. I think anything less than 750 puts you in the red zone, if not definately the orange zone.

I really do not think that anybody will think any less of your applilcation if you take it twice and score higher the next time. I personally took the GRE twice even though I scored a Q770 the first time.

The new GRE makes it slightly tougher to get a perfect score on the Math section but not so much so that you shouldn't give it another go. Especially if you are not going to apply until 2013, you have loads of time to schedule a test far in advance, do some solid study and nail it.

Personally I can't wait to see the new GRE admission statistics for schools that publish them. I think the proportion of 170's is going to be a lot smaller than the proportion of 800's from 2011.

Back