• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE Is NYU Tandon Good?

Just found a post from Quora asking why is financial engineering at NYU Poly not very "looked up to". I paste one of the answers below for your easy reference:

"The students, on average, simply aren't that good. I've interviewed quite a few students from the NYU Poly program and they perform much more poorly than the students from other comparable programs in the NYC area (NYU Courant, Columbia, CMU).

It also bothers me that many poly students try to pass themselves off as 'NYU' students, which is inaccurate and not allowed. This is an immediate clue to not read the resume any further.

--------
In response to the comment, Poly was a separate school that 'joined' NYU a few years ago. It is not as prestigious, and students from NYU Poly are *required* by their career center to include "Poly" in the university name."

Anyone would like to comment on this?

I think that the above quote may be precisely the issue.
I don't have hard statistics, but I am guessing that there is a very large difference in the intellectual ability of the 30 Courant students vs. the 150 Poly students.
The employers may get confused for some time.
Eventually, if you take a bite from a fruit and the fruit is bitter, you will probably not take a second bite from the same fruit.

Additionally, i was trying to find out the class profile of the NYU MFE program, but did not find any, while more prestigious programs like NYU Courant MSMF lists the names of its Class 16 and Class 17 students and even has a resume book of selected students, and UC Berkeley MFE also lists the names of its current students and has a short write-up for every student. It seems that these two programs really value every individual in their programs, and it is easier for applicants to find out the competitiveness of the class/program. Must say that NYU MFE is not very transparent on this, even the high level statistics like diversity of students is absent. Moving forward, not sure if it is possible to have class profile of NYU MFE, which could be important reference info for applicants.

To add on, not sure if it is possible for NYU MFE to release the compensation statistics in its placement report. I honestly think the no. 1 reason that ppl invest to attend such course-based postgraduate program is higher chance of finding good jobs with prospects. One indicator of good jobs is compensation. I don't mean to judge ppl based on $, but $ does reflect graduates' worth in the job market. For example, both UC Bekerley MFE and UCLA MFE release their graduates' average compensation statistics and you can tell sth from the gap.

Just to clarify that i don't mean to attack NYU MFE, just that there have been mixed reviews on this program, and important info such as class profile and ave compensation statistics is missing. Applicants get confused. Applicants can talk to a few current students to collect some info but won't have the overview. By reading posts from the current NYU MFE students, i can tell the new chair Dr Peter Carr and
career placement director Ms Sara Tomeo are improving the program, and perhaps can consider the above from me (an applicant).

Just found a post from Quora asking why is financial engineering at NYU Poly not very "looked up to". I paste one of the answers below for your easy reference:

"The students, on average, simply aren't that good. I've interviewed quite a few students from the NYU Poly program and they perform much more poorly than the students from other comparable programs in the NYC area (NYU Courant, Columbia, CMU).

It also bothers me that many poly students try to pass themselves off as 'NYU' students, which is inaccurate and not allowed. This is an immediate clue to not read the resume any further.

--------
In response to the comment, Poly was a separate school that 'joined' NYU a few years ago. It is not as prestigious, and students from NYU Poly are *required* by their career center to include "Poly" in the university name."

Hello,
I am a current first year student and can understand your apprehension with the post you have pasted here. First of all, I would recommend you check the date of this post to give you some perspective. Also, even though @P. Carr can confirm this as chair, as far as I know, the average test score for the current batch was 169.3 (out of 170) in the quant section of GRE, so saying that the students simply aren't that good is a gross generalization that does not in any way reflect the actual numbers of the batch.
Next, it shouldn't "bother" anyone that poly students pass themselves as NYU students because it is not inaccurate and it is allowed. Whatever uninformed people might say, NYU IS the university the school falls under.
The fact that students need to mention the name of the school under which they are enrolled stands true not just for the school of engineering but for all schools under the NYU umbrella. For example, even students from Courant and Stern are supposed to include the full name of the school as NYU Stern or NYU Courant in their resumes. This is just the way schools are named and has nothing to do with the school of engineering not being a part of NYU.
I am a current student and can tell you that the school of engineering is as much a part of the NYU brand as Stern or Courant or Tisch.

--------

Where is the link?

Hello Everyone,

I have admit from both NYU Tandon MFE and Georgia Tech QCF. Which option would be better. Does location of the University overpowers the curriculum ?

Thanks

Ruila congratulations on getting into two great programs.
This is Peter Carr.
I have a Finance Phd from UCLA Anderson and chair Tandon's financial engineering program.
So I know both programs well, but I am clearly biased.
Here's why you should choose Tandon and I'll leave it to my UCLA counterpart to sell you on them. First, being in NYC, we can take advantage of the large practitioner base better than a CA based school can. We do just that. We have so many practitioners involved that our average class size is 15 students and no class has more than 30. Practitioners impart wisdom that can only be obtained by working. I worked twenty years on Wall Street and am far better for it.
Second, we just hired a very talented career placement director who is as committed as I am to
making sure every student has the opportunity to put what they learned into practice. Our new placement director also comes from the financial industry, in fact the same bulge bracket IB as me. Third, Brooklyn beats LA as a place to live for two years (or more). I just bought a house in Brooklyn so I hope you are convinced that I stand by my words. You can email me directly if you need more info.
Hahaha Professor Carr,may I know how do you think of Rotman?(I am admitted to Tandon MFE and realized we were in the same undergrad program)

Back