• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is there a viable way to quantitative finance with a bachelor's in economics?

I'm considering applying for a bachelor's degree in economics and management at Oxford even though I know that a mathematics or physics degree is more useful in quantitative finance. The reason being is that I think I have a much better likelihood of getting admitted to E&M at Oxford than a similarly reputable quantitative degree.

Economics and Finance are not enough for a career in Quant Finance

Then don't go to oxford. There are plenty of decent math bachelors in the uk.

Thank you for your suggestion but as I mentioned I'm not able to make an as competitive application for mathematical bachelor's in the UK in comparison to economics. The reason being is that I'm an international student and we've just started the equivalent of "further maths" in my school. Therefore I'd do pretty badly on mathematical admissions tests such as the MAT and I wouldn't be able to answer a lot of technical questions in an interview. I don't have this issue when applying for my national universities as the timing is right but they are pretty obscure which is something that will definitely be detrimental to a career in for instance quantitative research.

Regarding the link you provided, I'm not sure it's applicable to me as I'm not wanting to pursue a MSc in economics or finance. If I decide to study economics as a bachelor's I will a hundred percent pursue an as quantitative master's as possible. I'm not sure if this path is enough or even possible for quants which is why I'm asking.

Can you either 1) take as many mathematical electives as you like or 2) double major in Maths or a related field while doing your Bachelor's in Economics at Oxford? If so, then it's not an issue.

You can join as an economics student and try to transfer into the math program. Not sure how this works in the UK though, as it might be more stringent, but in the US you definitely can.

You can join as an economics student and try to transfer into the math program
Maybe

Last edited:
If you really think you have the motivation and talent to do a math undergrad, then I'd suggest going to a lower rate institution for your bachelors. Math is math; a Taylor's series expansion is the same in the UK as it is in the USA. The disparity between a math major at Cambridge versus London Met is smaller than between other majors. You are not relying on the teacher's experience as much, because math has such little ambiguity relatively.

Also, it seems that the job requires a master's, at least from all the US jobs I come across. That being said you would still need to get a master's. Do extremely well in undergrad and then apply to the high prestige places for your masters.

If you really think you have the motivation and talent to do a math undergrad, then I'd suggest going to a lower rate institution for your bachelors. Math is math; a Taylor's series expansion is the same in the UK as it is in the USA. The disparity between a math major at Cambridge versus London Met is smaller than between other majors. You are not relying on the teacher's experience as much, because math has such little ambiguity relatively.

Also, it seems that the job requires a master's, at least from all the US jobs I come across. That being said you would still need to get a master's. Do extremely well in undergrad and then apply to the high prestige places for your masters.

I strongly disagree. "Math is not Math". On the contrary, disciplines such as math, stat, engineering etc. need to be taught in detail and on a high level. Otherwise you will spend 3-4 years doing a bachelors only to graduate and realize that you don't have the slightest chance of being accepted in a proper math postgraduate degree. BSc in Cambridge vs BSc in BirkBeck is day vs night.

I strongly disagree. "Math is not Math".

I think we are discussing two different things. I was pointing out that the student's individual motivation is a significant factor in their resulting proficiency. You are pointing out that the institution is a significant factor. Both are significant.

As for undergrad math, I don't think a Nobel laureate is required to effectively teach vector fields. At these 'basic' math levels the teachings skills are more important than experience and accolades. In the end, a GPA >3.8 paired with a 95th percentile standardized test should be enough to gain entrance to a mid-upper level program.

Back