• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is there any free FX currency pair API:s?

Hello quantnet users,

I have a small theory I want to test out, but as a student I am lacking in available data.

Most FX Currency API:s allow 500 - 1000 free API calls, which is enough for my needs as I only need a single snapshot of currency markets. However, problem occurs when I want to change base currency - most API:s allow FREE users to have single base currency, for example USD.

This means that for free, I can only ask for pairs based on USD: USDEUR, USDAED, USDAFN... so on. However, I wish to change the base currency: I also need exhange rates on EURAED, AEDAFN... basically whole snapshot of FX exhange rates on single date. While basic subscription plans allow this, I only need around 150 API calls to get exhangerate between every currency and if possible I would prefer not to pay for it.

I thought I would ask, if anyone knows of an API that allows users to do this for free? Thank you so much.

Hello quantnet users,

I have a small theory I want to test out, but as a student I am lacking in available data.

Most FX Currency API:s allow 500 - 1000 free API calls, which is enough for my needs as I only need a single snapshot of currency markets. However, problem occurs when I want to change base currency - most API:s allow FREE users to have single base currency, for example USD.

This means that for free, I can only ask for pairs based on USD: USDEUR, USDAED, USDAFN... so on. However, I wish to change the base currency: I also need exhange rates on EURAED, AEDAFN... basically whole snapshot of FX exhange rates on single date. While basic subscription plans allow this, I only need around 150 API calls to get exhangerate between every currency and if possible I would prefer not to pay for it.

I thought I would ask, if anyone knows of an API that allows users to do this for free? Thank you so much.
Here’s a list of public apis. I’d start here as it’s a solid list.

Here’s a list of public apis. I’d start here as it’s a solid list.
Thank you, that seems like a really useful github to save.

Alright! Thank you, I got worried for a second. If anyone needs the same info, I found one good API from the list:

It only provides 33 currencies today, and I am not yet quite sure can I get historical rates. However, as a starting data this is more than enough. Thank you!

Obviously if anyone has good API:s in mind, with more currency pairs I am more than happy to get those. I'll update this thread if I find anything myself

Thank you, that seems like a really useful github to save.

Alright! Thank you, I got worried for a second. If anyone needs the same info, I found one good API from the list:

It only provides 33 currencies today, and I am not yet quite sure can I get historical rates. However, as a starting data this is more than enough. Thank you!

Obviously if anyone has good API:s in mind, with more currency pairs I am more than happy to get those. I'll update this thread if I find anything myself
Dangit, it seems that VAT number validation, geolocation and exchange rates API. VAT compliance. calculates the rates between other currencies from EUR basecurrency, it doesn't actually use real data. Alright, search resumes

Back