• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is this a good math/programming strategy for a prospective MFE applicant?

goal of the post:
Are my outlined strategies sufficient to be able to meet the education prerequisites of an MFE program? (Targeting: brauch, carniege mellon, and princeton programs)

background:
I hold an undergraduate degree in finance from a state university and I’ve been in wealth management (family office) space for the last 30 months, primarily as part of a tax team handling complex partnership, trust, corporate, and personal returns. (500+ pages/return). I do not hold a CPA. I have some quantitative experience using data mining to create and maintain dashboards for other departments that use the data we generate. I have a dream of becoming a quant, but there are some steps I need to take in between.

strategy:
1)To remedy the lack of advanced mathematics I plan to take the Mathematical Concepts of Engineering certificate out of ASU: Mathematical Concepts of Engineering Certificate | ASU Online

2)To remedy the lack of programming skills I plan to take three certificates offered by quantnet and one with scriptuni:

C++ Programming for Financial Engineering

Advanced C++ and Modern Design

VBA/Python/SQL Online Certificates

3)To remedy the lack of prior academic course work, I plan to finally enroll in the seminars offered at Baruch when they become available after finishing 1&2:
  • Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
  • Probability Theory for Financial Applications
  • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
conclusion:
Is this a realistic path forward to passing muster with admissions of an MFE? Is it rigorous enough? Would the outlined strategy set me up to be a strong candidate in one of these programs? i fear I have a large education gap and the quality of my undergrad degree doesn’t help. I’m slightly insecure about where Im at professionally, but I’m really motivated to make this career change and try to move into a quantitative role. any wisdom would be greatly appreciated

I would do programming in parallel with the basic math courses you are taking. The Baruch courses I would do in the order of Probability Theory, AC, and NLA and none before you have completed your math pre-reqs. I'd take the MITx Differential Equation series as well. You'll also need to carve out time for GRE prep.

Regarding ODE/PDE, I am the originator of this course (recognised by UCB)

It is probably the only one geared up to finance PDE (Black Scholes) and FDM. Student discount, contact me.

As support, my new PDE/FDM book will be out in a few months. In short, it's a complete package.

MITx Differential Equation series
Question: is there a syllabus/Contents blurb?

Attachments

• PDE2020.docx
    18.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Preface2.docx
    22.4 KB · Views: 19
Thanks.
I don't want to come across as arrogant but the MIT contents are 2nd (1st?) year freshman content. The heat equation is far too simple. A lot of quants go through life without understanding the subtleties of convection-diffusion-reaction PDEs.
I do all this stuff as well but more for finance students, even a bit of C++ and Python to test PDE/FDM.

At the very least, Black Scholes PDE is essential.

Attachments

• From Navier-Stokes to Black-Scholes Numerical Methods in Computational Finance.pdf
    87.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
goal of the post:
Are my outlined strategies sufficient to be able to meet the education prerequisites of an MFE program? (Targeting: brauch, carniege mellon, and princeton programs)

background:
I hold an undergraduate degree in finance from a state university and I’ve been in wealth management (family office) space for the last 30 months, primarily as part of a tax team handling complex partnership, trust, corporate, and personal returns. (500+ pages/return). I do not hold a CPA. I have some quantitative experience using data mining to create and maintain dashboards for other departments that use the data we generate. I have a dream of becoming a quant, but there are some steps I need to take in between.

strategy:
1)To remedy the lack of advanced mathematics I plan to take the Mathematical Concepts of Engineering certificate out of ASU: Mathematical Concepts of Engineering Certificate | ASU Online

2)To remedy the lack of programming skills I plan to take three certificates offered by quantnet and one with scriptuni:

C++ Programming for Financial Engineering

Advanced C++ and Modern Design

VBA/Python/SQL Online Certificates

3)To remedy the lack of prior academic course work, I plan to finally enroll in the seminars offered at Baruch when they become available after finishing 1&2:
  • Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
  • Probability Theory for Financial Applications
  • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
conclusion:
Is this a realistic path forward to passing muster with admissions of an MFE? Is it rigorous enough? Would the outlined strategy set me up to be a strong candidate in one of these programs? i fear I have a large education gap and the quality of my undergrad degree doesn’t help. I’m slightly insecure about where Im at professionally, but I’m really motivated to make this career change and try to move into a quantitative role. any wisdom would be greatly appreciated
One of the best certifications you can do is CQF(Certificate in Quantitative Finance). It covers all topics and the exams and assignments are really good. It is almost like a mini MFE

Back