• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is this an appropriate moment to apply for quantitative modeling jobs??

Today I had an interview with a manager in BA. He told me that most of the open positions are related to development and coding. He told me that this time is not a good time to apply as a pure quantitative modeler and finding jobs related to quantitative modeling and even high frequency data processing are very rare :-ss. I just asked him if it is a good strategy to start as a developer and then switch to some modeling works or not, and his answer was that in industry it is very difficult to switch, so if you start as a developer you will continue in this role. I am in the last year of my PhD in computer science, with bachelor in applied mathematics. My Master and PhD was on Machine-learning and Artificial Intelligence. I have started to study some finance and quantitative finance reference books (some of the books were recommended in the master reading) and I was (am) very eager to find a job in quantitative modeling or on high-frequency data processing. I just want to know what is the best strategy to find a job in these roles?? Should I think to some other roles, like risk management or model validation???

I am failing to see why you wouldn't apply for a position in which you were interested. Sure, it may be a long-shot, you will also need to apply to other areas, but I don't see why you wouldn't apply to the one you really wanted.

I am failing to see why you wouldn't apply for a position in which you were interested. Sure, it may be a long-shot, you will also need to apply to other areas, but I don't see why you wouldn't apply to the one you really wanted.

Actually I just have applied for positions which are either on high frequency or on derivative pricing modeling. I did not apply for the job I had interview today, my resume was passed to them by the head hunter. So far I just have applied for the role I am really interested in, but if it is that full that I heard today I think I must change my strategy and try to find a job in risk management or other areas

I think you should clear your mind first and find out which role is more suitable for you.
if you have a PhD in computer science with a bachelor in applied maths means that you know a lot about numerical methods,programming and neural networks but almost nothing about finance,hence, it is wise to go where your skills are more useful and appreciated. Let's break it down:

People with a an MSc or a PhD in Computer Science/Applied Maths/Physics/Neuroscience are better off applying for:

High Frequency Trading (100%)
Software Developing (80%)
Quantitative Analysis (60%)
Credit Derivatives Structuring / Pricing ( 50%)

Those roles are the best for you because no finance understanding is required but you still can use your skills

People with an MSc or a PhD in Financial Engeneering / Financial Mathematics are better off applying for:

Credit Derivatives Structuring / Pricing (100%)
Exotic Options Pricing (90%)
Quantitative Analysis (80%)
High Frequency Trading (50%)
Software Developing (40%)

People with an MSc or a PhD in Finance / Statistics / Econometrics / Financial Economics are better off applying for :

Derivatives Trading (plain vanilla) - Trading (stocks or FX) (100%)
Derivatives Pricing (plain vanilla) - Trading (stocks or FX) (90%)
Fund Management (80%)
Exotic Options Pricing (70%)
Quantitative Analysis (70%)

Obviously there are many exceptions to this list which is far from being exhaustive,however,those are the jobs where you can easily "express" your knowledge.
Hope this helps

www.hypervolatility.com

Back