• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

When to apply for jobs as a grad student?

I am getting my master's in Statistics and was wondering when should I start applying for jobs. I work full time which is prolonging the degree completion and I won't graduate until this December. From some of the suggested reading (Paul & Dominic's guide to getting a Quant job) they say to apply 'now'. I have my resume and cover letters for different roles already queued up, so filling the applications won't be hard.

My question really is: Am I doing myself a disservice by applying too early and looking like a fool, and thus maybe hurting my chances once I am closer to graduation?

There’s no right answer. It depends on your risk appetite with respect to employment. I’m risk averse. I’d take the first good offer I got. Others will wait until they think they’ve found the “best” offer. I know people who’ve turned down great jobs in hope of getting better ones, only to be disappointed.

I also have a master’s in statistics (NYU 1994). PM me if you want to chat.

Back