• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is UChicago unsafe ?

Hey All,

I have been reading about University of Chicago, mainly on reddit and some other platforms. I have come across several posts, comments and news articles detailing about the frequent crime in Hyde Park area where Univ. Of Chicago is located.
Reading these, I have become anxious about my safety if I choose to go to Univ. of Chicago. Among the options I have, between New York, Atlanta and Chicago, I find higher number of such incidents reported for Chicago.

People who have an idea on this matter, can you please shed some light ? Is it overly exaggerated or is it true ?
If one chooses to go to UChicago fin math program, what precautions one should take ?

If you can share some insights on the below points, that would be helpful.
1. Is it recommended to stay in the campus dorm for the safety even if the cost is higher ?
2. Is travelling at night time from library in campus to your place in the nearby neighbourhood not recommended ?
3. Is a particular neighbourhood where one would be the safest while looking for flats ?

Thanks.

The campus itself is very safe with strong security, but outside is a little sketchy (especially West and South). It’s definitely not recommended to go outside the campus at night by yourself.

To be honest I wouldn’t call any of the big US cities particularly “safe” right now. The homeless/crime issues has gotten a lot worse in recent years, but as long as you have common sense and know how take care of yourself then you should generally be fine.

in my opinion from having spent a considerable amount of time in nyc and chicago, nyc is considerably safer. Atlanta is fine but the dynamic is completely different from the first two because everyone drives and has a car.

With all that said, the situation isn’t bad enough that it should materially weigh on your choice.

Hey @ajjjw are you in NYC area? I saw a lot of news reg protests on campus recently. Is it safe too?

Last edited:
Hey @ajjjw are you in NYC area? I saw a lot of news reg protests on campus recently. Is it safe too?
Yea i’m in nyc it’s totally safe imo unless you’re in the wrong part of the bronx/brooklyn. It’s grimey and a little gross but plenty safe.

General rules: the further west you go and south you go, the worse it gets. Stay north of campus, stay close to the lake, you’ll generally be fine. Lock up your bike, make sure your car isn’t accessible overnight. Don’t leave items visible in your car. I’d check a crime map also before you sign your lease :)

Another thing to mention is that safety really varies block to block. there are bad blocks in good neighborhoods and vice versa. It is really crucial to do a reddit search of your specific cross streets before you sign anything.

I remember seeing a discussion about this on a different website (maybe reddit?), the conventional wisdom is to not do anything that'll put you in unnecessary danger. Some specifics I saw were: don't go out for a walk alone at night, don't wear expensive and flashy clothes/jewelry, and don't leave your car/apartment unlocked.

General rules: the further west you go and south you go, the worse it gets. Stay north of campus, stay close to the lake, you’ll generally be fine. Lock up your bike, make sure your car isn’t accessible overnight. Don’t leave items visible in your car. I’d check a crime map also before you sign your lease :)
I agree. Just don't be a target. The blocks around the campus and the campus itself should be generally "safe". UChicago has the second largest private security in the world - just behind the Vaticano.

Im currently in the UChicago MSFM. I feel safe here. UChicago has like 3 different types of police roaming around which always make this place feel secure, they even have guards who stay outside until 2am every night right outside my house (I live on the south side and off campus). It makes me feel like I'm always protected. its definitely safer than my undergrad. In my time here I haven't witnessed anything bad happen.

Im currently in the UChicago MSFM. I feel safe here. UChicago has like 3 different types of police roaming around which always make this place feel secure, they even have guards who stay outside until 2am every night right outside my house (I live on the south side and off campus). It makes me feel like I'm always protected. its definitely safer than my undergrad. In my time here I haven't witnessed anything bad happen.

Thanks for your comment, this definitely makes me feel assured.
If you don't mind, can I ping you here just for general chat around courses and housing location. I am planning to enrol to Uchicago.

Back