• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Isolating and Buying Dividends with Options

Has anybody actually done this? It is easy enough to do:
Essentially, you buy the actual stock and short the synthetic stock.

Specifically, buy the stock, and then go short a call with strike price equal to the stock price, then go long put with strike price qual to the stock price, and finally borrow just enough money so that you owe exactly the initial stock price at option expiration time. You will have bought every dividend up till the options' expiration date.

Here's a case-study. I have used actual data from today's financial data.

Stock: TEVA - Trading at 50.01 (for simplicity, let's assume it's trading at 50.00... it's close enough)

A call expiring at 01/18/13, with strike 50, has a bid-ask of 7.15 - 7.50. Taking the middle, we get a value of about 7.35.
A put expiring at 01/18/13, with strike 50, has a bid-ask of 6.95-7.40. Taking the middle, we get a value of about 7.20.

Notably, TEVA dividends are paid every February, May, August, and November. They have been consistingly increasing as follows:
In November 2008, dividends were at 11.7 cents per share.
In November 2009, dividends were at 15.8 cents per share.
In November 2010, dividends were at 19.3 cents per share.

Anyway, the stratedgy costs (50-48.25)-(7.35-7.2)=$1.60 [assuming an interest rate of 3.25]

We break even if the company's dividends pay out $1.60/8 = 20 cents on average. However, due to the annual growth of the dividends and generally high targets set by analysts, we can reasonably assume dividends on average will be 25 cents for the next 8 payments (also, remmember that intermmitent dividends can be reinvested. So even if you believe dividends will be slightly lower, 25 cents can allow for reinvestment.)

8 * 25 cents is $2.00. This is a net difference of ($2.00-$1.60) = 40 cents... or 25% return in about two years. This is an annual return of 11.2%.

This admittedly didn't account for trading costs, but in large firms such costs are marginalized.

So... any opinions? What do you guys think about such a stradegy?

I have no idea whether anyone has actually used this strategy, but here are a couple thoughts:

1) Why use the mid for prices? You can't guarantee that price, you might as well have used the most profitable price.
2) Capital gains, fees, costs may eat a lot more of your small profit than you think.
3) Lets say your profit is $.20 being generous after all costs and stuff have been taken out. You'll need to place some sizable trades to make any decent profit. Are there going to be any buyers on the other side?

1) Why use the mid for prices? You can't guarantee that price, you might as well have used the most profitable price.
That's a good point, I suppose; I just saw this practice used in another options-related case study, and I followed suit. But your point is absolutely correct.
2) Capital gains, fees, costs may eat a lot more of your small profit than you think.
I don't think it will eat half like you stated... although you may be right - anyone have any data on what the pros at the big firms actually have to pay?

3) Lets say your profit is $.20 being generous after all costs and stuff have been taken out. You'll need to place some sizable trades to make any decent profit. Are there going to be any buyers on the other side?
*See above for comment about costs... but as for volume, you are only limited by the option volume - this is like asking, can I buy/sell an option at all?

I reduced it to half after adjusting for the questionable prices, and some fictitious costs. And yes you are only limited by the options being sold. Have you seen the volume and open interest for the ones you mentioned? Barely any. I'm sure you could shorten your time horizon. But there's still not much going on.

Sure... for TEVA. But I literally picked out a stock out of a blue... I just tried to find one with a price that was near some strike (that is, that had a whole number price divisible by 5)

If you wait for some more popular stock to hit such a price, such a strategy could be used.

Back